Help please! General game graphic settings questions fact and opinion

maucerit

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
So I been googling for a while now and cant find an answer. First off I have a msi gtx 680 oc at 1212 core. I know hbao setting is for nvidia hdao for ati (generally speaking) then ssao is less of the two. So questions is on my 1080 led monitor can I tell the difference between ssao and hbao? Also my mssa is at 4 on far cry specifically if I put it at a 2 or 8 will there be a huge difference? I know for msaa I should do trial and error but want a solid answer because my eyes can lie and think its better the higher I put it kind of like placebo effect lol thanks for your help.

masterman467

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
if its a setting you cant see why use it?
think, you go to the doctor and he says you have herpaderpaderpadoses. it has no ill affects, its not fatal, nothing bad will come of it. why have it fixed?

maucerit

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I agree but to help fps. Is it better to lower my msaa so I can have hbao or use lower option ssao to have msaa higher. With msaa at 4 on far cry and hbao I get 40 fps but msaa 2 runs a lot smooth. But if I switch to ssao and keep mssa 4 is that better?

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

+1

Set everything MAX and then scale down until you are happy.

Also, you mentioned FarCry, nothing can run FarCry perfectly

maucerit

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Thanks for replys and good knowing farcry 3 is near impossible to complete max out. I have everything ultra with hbao just lowered msaa thats the biggest total on my gpu. Just starting to understand how gpu really works and I know 680 is amazing card but back of my head thought I could do anything. All the more reason the sli it soon. Thanks again!

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

remember poor coding can cripple any system *pointing fingers at FarCry 1*

maucerit

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Well I just found out vsync was messing it up. With msaa at 8 now and hbao I hold 30fps with not fluctuation at all and everything else is on ultra but with vsync on I could not run it with msaa at 8 only 4 and lower. With vsync off mssa at 4 and hbao I hold 50 fps sometimes higher again everything on ultra.

maucerit

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
farcry 3 uses a version of crytec no way they messed it up that bad. The most important thing to remember its using crytec crisis 2 engine obv BUT in a open world so much more to load then say a give level on crisis with limited space. So you having best game engine render a whole world with top line graphic if it was not open world it would be much easier to run. That why I think far cry3 is so hard to run.