MN-700 Wireless Bridge Upgrade

My broadband modem and wi-fi router are upstairs in a
bedroom and there is no route for cabling to the living
room where xbox, ps2 and media server live. I was
looking for a wireless bridge - a device to pick up my wi-
fi signal from the upstairs bedroom and provide multiple
wired Ethernet jacks for my living room devices (as a
plus, it would be cool to have a wireless "repeater" at
this location to reach further into the house).

Despite clearly explaining this to the guys at Circuit
City, they insisted the MN-700 would serve this purpose.
Supposedly a recent MS train class left them with the
wrong impression. Are there plans to upgrade the MN-700
firmware to support this feature or should I just return
the box?

Any recommendations?

The MN-700 wasn't designed to do what they erroneously told you it would. I
would return it, and speak with the manager. There isn't a hardware
"update" which would change the MN-700's behavior. Take a look at some of
the Buffalo Technology hardware for a repeater here:
http://www.buffalotech.com/wireless/products/wirelessProd.html
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

<microsoft@langfield.com> wrote in message
> My broadband modem and wi-fi router are upstairs in a
> bedroom and there is no route for cabling to the living
> room where xbox, ps2 and media server live. I was
> looking for a wireless bridge - a device to pick up my wi-
> fi signal from the upstairs bedroom and provide multiple
> wired Ethernet jacks for my living room devices (as a
> plus, it would be cool to have a wireless "repeater" at
> this location to reach further into the house).
>
> Despite clearly explaining this to the guys at Circuit
> City, they insisted the MN-700 would serve this purpose.
> Supposedly a recent MS train class left them with the
> wrong impression. Are there plans to upgrade the MN-700
> firmware to support this feature or should I just return
> the box?
>
> Any recommendations?

You'd need the MN740 for what you want to do.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

<microsoft@langfield.com> wrote in message
> My broadband modem and wi-fi router are upstairs in a
> bedroom and there is no route for cabling to the living
> room where xbox, ps2 and media server live. I was
> looking for a wireless bridge - a device to pick up my wi-
> fi signal from the upstairs bedroom and provide multiple
> wired Ethernet jacks for my living room devices (as a
> plus, it would be cool to have a wireless "repeater" at
> this location to reach further into the house).
>
> Despite clearly explaining this to the guys at Circuit
> City, they insisted the MN-700 would serve this purpose.
> Supposedly a recent MS train class left them with the
> wrong impression. Are there plans to upgrade the MN-700
> firmware to support this feature or should I just return
> the box?
>
> Any recommendations?

Using the NM740, can I hook up an Ethernet hub/switch to
it's single Ethernet interface get more than the one
Ethernet port that the 740 provides?

Unfortunately running a wire to the living room is not
feasible.

Can I add a Ethernet Hub or Switch to the single Ethernet
port on a MN-740? I need more than one wired Ethernet
port.

Hi,

Unfortunately the MN-700 doesn't perform the function that you want to do.
Your best bet is to return the MN-700 unless you want run a long ethernet
cable from your current wi-fi router down to the living room.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news =(

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

<microsoft@langfield.com> wrote in message
> My broadband modem and wi-fi router are upstairs in a
> bedroom and there is no route for cabling to the living
> room where xbox, ps2 and media server live. I was
> looking for a wireless bridge - a device to pick up my wi-
> fi signal from the upstairs bedroom and provide multiple
> wired Ethernet jacks for my living room devices (as a
> plus, it would be cool to have a wireless "repeater" at
> this location to reach further into the house).
>
> Despite clearly explaining this to the guys at Circuit
> City, they insisted the MN-700 would serve this purpose.
> Supposedly a recent MS train class left them with the
> wrong impression. Are there plans to upgrade the MN-700
> firmware to support this feature or should I just return
> the box?
>
> Any recommendations?

Yes.

I'd recommend you get the MN740 working with the xbox first.

Once that is working, then unplug the xbox from the MN740, hook up the
switch, and then hook up the other units to the switch.

--

> Using the NM740, can I hook up an Ethernet hub/switch to
> it's single Ethernet interface get more than the one
> Ethernet port that the 740 provides?

yes, use a switch.

--
Barb Bowman