Ati X1900 vs Ati Radeon HD 4300/4500

koolguru

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Alright Guys, I need some help. Currently I have one desktop pc with an i7 processor and 8 gb of ram. What to do to complete it? Add a GPU of course

I have two gpu's in storage.

One is an ATI Radeon Hd 4300/4500 with 512 mb of vram

The other is an ATI X1900 with 256mb of VRAM

I dont want to purchase a new graphics card so please dont suggest new cards to buy. Simply tell me an answer as to which is better

Note: I have heard the X1900 is better but it has less vram so I dont know

Wolfshadw

Titan
Quite the quandary. The X1900 is by far the better card, but it's ancient in graphic card life spans. AMD no longer supports it. The newest drivers for the card are from February 2010 (and for Vista). Additionally, it won't run DX10/11. The HD4x50 card is by no means a gaming card, but at least it's current.

Simply because it will likely cause less headaches, I'd recommend going with the HD4x50 graphics card.

-Wolf sends

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

The HD 4xxx series and (obviously) the x1900 are outdated somewhat. I wouldn't go lower than a 4650 as far as 4xxx series from AMD.
The newer (at least the 5xxx series have better frickin' optimizations like smooth video and such)
NVidia makes awesome cards too. I had a 210 and it worked nice.

But really, why would you buy an i7 and put a sub-par GPU in it anyway?
This question the OP posted is idiotic.
It's like buying an AMD 8350 CPU and wanting a low end PCI GPU in it.
Doesn't anyone else see this?

To the OP: Get off your lazy rump and move into 2013 and learn the basic performance luxuries of a basic modern GPU and get one, or go with Apple where you're stuck with what you get and you love them for it! :cry:

Wolfshadw

Titan
The HD 4xxx series and (obviously) the x1900 are outdated somewhat. I wouldn't go lower than a 4650 as far as 4xxx series from AMD.

This post isn't a question about what graphics card to buy. It's a question about which already owned graphics card to utilize. I, myself, have an S3 Virge, an ATI Radeon 9200 AGP, and ATI All-In-Wonder X1800XL, and an AMD Radeon HD4650 all in storage. Obviously, if I needed to utilize one of these cards for a current build, I'd use the HD4650. The OP does not have these options and is wondering which would better serve his/her situation.

But really, why would you buy an i7 and put a sub-par GPU in it anyway?
1) We don't know the system's intended usage.
2) There's no point in crying over split milk. What's done is done. The OP's question refers to what can be done at this point. Not what should have been done. Stick to the point.

This question the OP posted is idiotic.
It's like buying an AMD 8350 CPU and wanting a low end PCI GPU in it.
Doesn't anyone else see this?

Of course we see this, but we follow the Tom's Hardware Terms of Use. In particular:

Your Conduct on Our Sites

You agree not to post or transmit material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening or invasive of a person's privacy; that otherwise violates any law; or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense.

I highlighted the significant points.

To the OP: Get off your lazy rump and move into 2013 and learn the basic performance luxuries of a basic modern GPU and get one, or go with Apple where you're stuck with what you get and you love them for it! :cry:

1) See the above Terms of Use
2) The OP specifically stated in his/her original post, "I dont want to purchase a new graphics card so please dont suggest new cards to buy." In most cases, people here respect the wishes outlined by the OP and simply answer the question. In other cases, people here will RESPECTFULLY suggest that a new purchase is in order.

It's a simple rule of thumb. If you don't have anything nice/productive to say (post), don't say (post) anything at all.

-Wolf sends

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Wolf:

Yeah. I agree with all you say, but without going into all the technicalities of the TOU people can accept that not
all conversations need be taken at face value. Speaking in jest can be taken as such. Which is how I posted.

I honestly would take it and suggest it as jest and motivating. I find it motivating. Even motivational speakers talk
way more harsh and in-your-face than what I posted. Really. But it's the intention that's the mystery of speaking.
I won't get anymore into this..
At least just take it with a grain of salt.

And I'll be more attentive to my posting and moderate myself, thank you.

moonzy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

And we don't want that.

Have a nice day bro

koolguru

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
To clarify, the HD 4300/4500 is the card my system came with. ZT systems is the manufacturer. Now the X1900 is one I've had in storage for a few years. I now need to know which one is better. I understand GPUs thank you very much and am well aware of what is current. So thank you for answering the question and not wasting time insulting me.