Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Gpu overclocking damage

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2013 5:15:38 AM

So Earlier i followed the tutorial for ocing 7950

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-hd-7950-ove...

i set the clock and power settings to be the same as above, and my games fps just dropped very low in bf3, even after i reset everything to default.

i just restarted my comp and everythings back to normal, fps go back to 58~60 again.

so ya i would like to know....did i somehow permanently damage my card?

if so, does xfx still cover ocing damage?

i didn't mess with the voltage btw
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2013 5:46:45 AM

hihiip201 said:
So Earlier i followed the tutorial for ocing 7950

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-hd-7950-ove...

i set the clock and power settings to be the same as above, and my games fps just dropped very low in bf3, even after i reset everything to default.

i just restarted my comp and everythings back to normal, fps go back to 58~60 again.

so ya i would like to know....did i somehow permanently damage my card?

if so, does xfx still cover ocing damage?

i didn't mess with the voltage btw

If everything is back to normal, then no damage should have occured. Overclocking normally voids the warranty, so if they know you have oced, then you will lose all the warranty and won't cover the damage.
January 25, 2013 5:54:32 AM

lostgamer_03 said:
If everything is back to normal, then no damage should have occured. Overclocking normally voids the warranty, so if they know you have oced, then you will lose all the warranty and won't cover the damage.

so i didn't damage my gpu in a way that's not noticible? like a gpu fatigue or something?

also i heard xfx used to offer warranty covering oc damage
Related resources
January 25, 2013 6:08:38 AM

I think I have damaged it.....it is now crashing now and then...crap
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2013 7:31:45 AM

hihiip201 said:
I think I have damaged it.....it is now crashing now and then...crap

I'm sorry to hear that. It also happened for me once. I never overclock anymore and have gotten a GPU with boost so it overclocks itself. Try to run some burn tests so you can conclude if it really has died. Just contact XFX customer service and tell that you GPU has broken, don't mention the OC and set it back to default before you turn it in, then they won't know you have oced and they will probably cover the damage.
January 25, 2013 9:19:46 AM

lostgamer_03 said:
I'm sorry to hear that. It also happened for me once. I never overclock anymore and have gotten a GPU with boost so it overclocks itself. Try to run some burn tests so you can conclude if it really has died. Just contact XFX customer service and tell that you GPU has broken, don't mention the OC and set it back to default before you turn it in, then they won't know you have oced and they will probably cover the damage.

what kind of test should i use?

Also won't xfx be able to tell it was OCed?
and thank you

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2013 9:39:42 AM

hihiip201 said:
what kind of test should i use?

Also won't xfx be able to tell it was OCed?
and thank you

Furmark, just search in google and find the download. Just let it run for a few minutes and see what happens.

In most cases they won't be able to tell if it was overclocked. If you just make sure that you have returned the settings to the default, then they shouldn't have a clue. If they ask if you have oced (they will certainly ask you what you think could have happened), then ofc just tell them no or that you don't even know how to do it.

I hope you'll get your gaming rig running again, good luck!
January 25, 2013 2:04:29 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Furmark, just search in google and find the download. Just let it run for a few minutes and see what happens.

In most cases they won't be able to tell if it was overclocked. If you just make sure that you have returned the settings to the default, then they shouldn't have a clue. If they ask if you have oced (they will certainly ask you what you think could have happened), then ofc just tell them no or that you don't even know how to do it.

I hope you'll get your gaming rig running again, good luck!

man you are a life savor! thanks!
January 25, 2013 2:04:37 PM

Best answer selected by hihiip201.
a c 79 U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 2:25:50 PM

well if you just flat out maxed the clocks in CCC no wonder it didnt work right.... Overclocking is a 'slow' process if done properly. Also amd cards have memory error correction system that brings down the performance if you oc the vram too high.

crashes might or might not be card related anyways and if you didn't touch the voltages then there shouldn't be any chance whatsoever for physical damage to occur because of the oc via CCC. It shouldn't even be able overheat the card if the cooler is ok.

edit also furmark isnt a good test anymore, since newer drivers treat it as a 'power virus' and adjust the clocks of the cards to limit power consumption. Run Unigine Heaven or maybe even 3dmark instead
!