Sign in with
Your question

HOT GFX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2013 6:09:10 AM

Recently i have noticed my GFX card has been getting alot hotter than what it usually does. It is a MSI Twin Frozr II 560ti OC and i have noticed higher idle and load temps.

eg. Idle temps have increased from around 33-35 to about 39-40. Also the card never used to get over 72 degrees Celsius but it is now reaching 80.

The card is less than a year old but does this mean i need to replace the thermal paste?

More about : hot gfx

a c 109 U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 6:11:57 AM

You're fine, there could be many factors such as ambient temps and dust.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 6:12:11 AM

Well before jumping to thermal paste, is you card overclocked at all? If so try lowering the voltage or clock speed a bit. Also, have you tried cleaning the card with a can of compressed air to get the dust out?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 6:16:06 AM

I noticed you posted the same thing about your CPU being hot as well, so thermal compound is not the issue. I think a system cleaning/rebuild would solve the problem, sounds like the dust is just impeding airflow.
m
l
January 25, 2013 6:17:29 AM

The card is stock OC and i'm not going to lower it from there. the card is pretty clean as well. I am having a few problems with other temps in my PC after installing some new case fans which were meant to be better than my previous ones, but so far all i'm experiencing is higher cpu and gfx temps
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 6:18:12 AM

Is there a block on it?

If there is, how much rad space?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 6:20:14 AM

improve airflow by adding fans and/or doing cable management.

check the heatsinks, sometimes they may look clean but if you look closer they are now.
try playing with the side panel removed, see if that helps
m
l
January 25, 2013 6:34:01 AM

@amuffin

as i said it has a MSI twin frozr II cooler on it.

@cons29

My cable management is very good for my case, it allows for direct airflow.
with the side panel of i may get 1 degree difference.
i also tried putting a small side table fan, about 200mm, blowing on an angle with the side pannel off but that didn't seem to make a massive difference.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 7:50:13 AM

Your profile pic is misleading. :p 

Take the card out and check if there's any dust within the heatsinks.
m
l
January 26, 2013 12:50:41 AM

sorry about that. It is just my inspiration to what i want my build to become. The guy has the same case and i did the same case modding he did for cable management.

Will probably just buy some compressed air any give everything another clean out.
m
l
!