What type of PSU is Compatable with the GTX 660

Status
Not open for further replies.

bootwinks

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hello!

I recently bought a GTX 660 (Gainward) off Ebay, so I need to get a new PSU due to the fact that Iam running a AMD 6450, which only used around 30 watts, and the PSU was only 216 Watts and to run my new GTX 660 I need a PSU what has
-
One 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector
Minimum 450W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A)

To be honest I dont know that much, about PSU's, Ive got a PCI Express x16 so I know I can run it,
but what does 12V Mean? and a Rating of 24A?, Im going to buy the PSU off Ebay since I live Hours away from the nearest City and Iam in Australia

So can some one please Explain what that means? 12V and a Rating of 24A
and what Brand of PSU should I get?, and a link hopefully to a PSU on Ebay, what has them Stats?

thank you :)

Solution
D
The VS 550 provides 42 amps for 504 watts on the 12v rail. You could run 2 x GTX 660s in Sli with it.

The 24 amp figure is for the entire system. The card by it's self only uses around 110 watts or around 9 amps. So in calculating the power needed for 2 cards you only have to add that to the 24 amps recommended for a system with 1 card.
Since you should leave a minimum 100-150 watts of headroom that makes the VS 550 right on the low end of acceptable for running 2 x GT 660s in Sli.

But since you are only going to use a single card you are obviously just fine.
D

Deleted member 217926

Any 450w and up power supply from Corsair ( including the CX series ), Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ, or Antec will do for your system. These brands are all at least good quality across the board.

The 12v rail is what supplies a modern computer with most of it's power. The highest use devices ( CPU and GPU ) are powered by the 12v rail.

Amps X volts = Watts. So you need a power supply with 288 watts on the 12v rail. Any of the above listed brands will have that and more.

Avoid Thermaltake and Coolermaster. Even though they are "name" brands they are names you don't want for a power supply.

D

Deleted member 217926

The CX series is very good when used as what it is. A budget power supply. I would not use the series in a high end system with a high drain or multiple graphics card setup because some people have reported capacitor problems when stressing the units. They review quite well though.

bootwinks

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Ill be only using one GPU, and One Monitor would that be fine?

bootwinks

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

And why not Thermaltake and Coolermaster? Ill be only using One GPU & One Monitor

D

Deleted member 217926

Coolermaster has quite a few lines that can not supply their rated voltage. I will never recommend a brand that puts such "liar" labels on their products. Thermaltake sells units that are so bad they can be downright dangerous to your components. Both brands use various low quality OEMs to manufactuer their products.

Very few power supplies are actually made by the name on the label. One exception is Seasonic. They make their own models as well as some of the better Corsair, Antec, PC Power and Cooling and all the XFX lines to name a few. Seasonic is probably the best overall manufacturer. Among the brands I recommended Enermax is also a manufacturer and their units are quite good.

The Corsair CX would be a fine low cost unit for your build.

D

Deleted member 217926

One of the worst units on the market.

If you are in Australia and having a hard time finding parts then this list may help.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/358998-31-worldwide-online-computer-parts-stores

I know many people use PC Case Gear and MWave.

D

Deleted member 217926

The VS 550 provides 42 amps for 504 watts on the 12v rail. You could run 2 x GTX 660s in Sli with it.

The 24 amp figure is for the entire system. The card by it's self only uses around 110 watts or around 9 amps. So in calculating the power needed for 2 cards you only have to add that to the 24 amps recommended for a system with 1 card.
Since you should leave a minimum 100-150 watts of headroom that makes the VS 550 right on the low end of acceptable for running 2 x GT 660s in Sli.

But since you are only going to use a single card you are obviously just fine.

Solution

bootwinks

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Thank you very much for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.