Mushkin memory in Abit KR7A MB

G

Help! I ordered the Abit KR7A-133 and AMD 1700+. I was looking at Mushkin's site for DDR ram and they did not list the KR7A as a MB that Basic 2100 will work in. So I emailed them. They said I would have to get High Performance DDR for $50 more (I'm going to get a 512 piece). But their specs for high performance -- that is the chipset it's been guaranteed to work with -- is the same as the basic: KT266. Abit's site says the KR7A has a KT266A chipset. I'm trying to see if Mushkin is giving me a line of bull or the basic memory really won't work in the MB I bought. Also, Mushkin's site on the High Performance DDR doesn't list the KR7-A; only the KG7-R is listed -- the same one listed on the Basic page. What is the deal? Can anyone help?
Thanks!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I replied in your other post.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
When in doubt buy Crucial or Micron for PC2100. They have extremely high thresholds and stay stable under the strictest timing setups. If you want PC2700 go with Corsair.

To answer your question, it does seem like a line to get you to purchase the other memory. Unless Mushkin has been having problems with their low-ended consumer memory. If it is than I would still buy Crucial, Micron, and Corsair before Mushkin.

From the VIA KT266A white papers it states only that it supports PC2100 or better.
Available in two different speed grades, DDR enables memory performance to be scaled to fit the performance and cost requirements of a given platform. DDR200 (also known as PC1600) runs at a 100MHz clock speed, and transfers data on both the rising and falling edges of the clock for an effective 200MHz clock rate. DDR266 (or PC2100) uses the same clock doubling technology, but runs at a 133MHz core speed, for an effective 266MHz clock rate.
With this clock doubling technology, DDR200 is able to transfer up to 1.6GB/s, and DDR266 a staggering 2.1GB/s. Also, due to its evolutionary, parallel technology, the latency of DDR is quite low compared to competing serial memory technologies.

-VIA Technologies - 08/24/2001 - VIA Apollo KT266A Chipset White Paper - Page 6

<b>"Taurelilomea-tumbalemorna Tumbaletaurea Lomeanor" - Treebeard</b> :lol:

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
When in doubt buy Crucial or Micron for PC2100. They have extremely high thresholds and stay stable under the strictest timing setups. If you want PC2700 go with Corsair.
I agree. Just one correction: Crucial.com is a Micron subsidiary - so you usually get the highest quality Micron parts from them. Any other place you buy Micron RAM, the price will probably higher, and the quality <i>may</i> not be as good.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.