Is my graphics card dying?

mitk0o0o0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
Hello, today I experienced a very weird problem.

I was downloading something to my system drive (C:\) and it was low in memory, I also had a LOT of programs and stuff opened, you could say I was using my memory to the max. All of a sudden the computer hanged/freezed and the last thing I saw was just the baloon saying C:\ is running out of disk space.

So anyways, the computer hanged for a bit and then I was able to move the cursor here and there but it was moving very sluggish and I couldn't click on anything, the keyboard wouldn't work either.

I hit the restart button on my computer in hope that it will reboot and everything will be back to normal. After pressing the button I got a black screen with my monitor switching through modes "Analog" then "digital" and on and on, all of a sudden just a black screen. Next thing I know, my computer beeps insanely 5-6 times in a row very quick and all I'm left with is a black screen only.

I turned it off, unplugged it, then plugged it back and powered it on and the motherboard logo appeared, Windows loaded but it hanged once again as soon as my desktop appeared, again I pushed the restart button and I got just a black screen with the beeps.

All of a sudden it randomly got into my mind to try switching the video cables. Previously, I was using the blue VGA cable on my graphics card when this happened to day and I plugged to it a little DVI converter thing, then plugged it to the DVI port on my graphics card and the computer started without any problem.

Is this a sign that my graphics card is dying? Or was it some temporary memory (RAM) problem or what?

I started GPU-Z to see the fan speed, usage, temperature, etc. Everything seems to be as it was before.

I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT with some Gainward thing, it's dedicated memory is 1024MB.

mitk0o0o0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012

Thanks but I don't have another system. I could try the memory stick test though. :)

I've got 3GB RAM (one stick is 1 other is 2), DDR2 btw. My hard drive space is in total ~500GB with C:\ having 88GB capacity with 1,12GB free now and D:\ with 364GB capacity and 13GB free.

It's kinda weird how it happened as soon as I had my C:\ drivew ith barely 100MB free space left. I really hope it happened just because of that and not a hardware failure.