Graphics Card not performing as expected

Hi Everybody,

I am new to Toms Hardware but have been reading as a non-member for a long time. I have recently got a new pc. This was the setup:

AMD FX-4170 4.2GHz
AMD Radeon 6670 2GB DDR3
16GB 1333Mhz Ram
2TB Hard drive

After getting this set up, i bought Battlefield 3 and noticed that this card was not even good enough to perform at low on this game, so i bought a MSI GTX660 2GB DDR5 and this is running very well and i am able to play the game perfectly. I am running with everything on low on 1920x1080 and getting 80fps which i thought was all good enough. I have had a friend recently advise that this should be much higher and should be able to play at a much higher setting.

Is this correct for the setup? any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about graphics card performing expected
  1. What PSU do you have and is this multiplayer or singleplayer?
  2. Sorry the PSU is a 600w and it is on multiplayer. I have been told off somebody that uses a GTX 580 that i should be able to run at least high settings at 80 fps.
  3. well multiplayer tends to be very cpu heavy, your cpu might hold you back a little...
    what happens if you set the game at high? does the fps drop a lot or not?
  4. Not sure on the MSI, but I have a EVGA GTX 660 SC running with 8 gig of ram and a 3570K @ 4.2 and I can run everything on High with no problems as all.

Edit - getting 60 FPS with a few dips here and there
  5. It's your weak CPU for sure.
    Try singleplayer and I bet it will be much higher
  6. darth pravus said:
    It's your weak CPU for sure.
    Try singleplayer and I bet it will be much higher

how can the cpu be weak, its 4.2 ghz at standard. benchmarks show it to be at a very high level cpu. I will check it on a higher setting and report the results.
  7. Clock rate doesn't make speed. It's not a high level CPU. I3's can outperform it
  8. Ammended the settings to medium and i am getting around 60fps average. does anybody else use the gtx 660 and what fps do you get?
  9. I use a 670 and I get 60-80 on ultra. A 660 should do high easily as a 660ti would do ultra when overclocked
  10. I did have the ATI 6670 before hand and when trying to remove all the Ati stuff i was unable to remove the control panel for it so could this be causing any issues
  11. Maybe it's best to do a fresh install to negate any software issues.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics Cards Graphics