Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 x64 or win8 x64 on upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 3:30:26 PM

Guys,
I'm thinking of getting rid of my HD5970 and installing 2x HD7950 Xfire however I'm also installing an SSD so do I install Win7x64 or Win8x64? I'm licensed for both from work?
a c 182 U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 3:34:38 PM

Windows 8 64bit.it is newer,faster and has more features than win 7.so get windows 8.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 3:38:56 PM

If you don't mind learning/getting used to a new OS go ahead with win8...
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 3:59:12 PM

Cool, I was just wondering if older games like Crysis will run on win 8? I suppose I'll have to install it and find out. Thanks anyway
a c 117 U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 4:03:36 PM

Kkkk1 said:
Cool, I was just wondering if older games like Crysis will run on win 8? I suppose I'll have to install it and find out. Thanks anyway

Almost all Windows 7 applications will run on Windows 8 without issue, games included.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 4:05:06 PM

in games windows 8 is only 1% faster than windows 7.
windows 7 is supported by a WIDE range of apps and games,
there might be a lot of unknown issues in windows 8 reagarding compatibility too.
plus u have to get everything from the appstore to show in metro UI
i used it and it takes a LOT of time getting used to.
i say u use dual boot and keep windows 7 as the main OS and maybe use win8
side by side to slowly get a feel of it, so that u can decide. if u like it or not
a c 117 U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 7:19:31 PM

dheeraj9933 said:
in games windows 8 is only 1% faster than windows 7.

It's all around faster, not just in demanding games. Startup and shutdown are much faster, as are application loading times.

windows 7 is supported by a WIDE range of apps and games
said:

windows 7 is supported by a WIDE range of apps and games

So is Windows 8. I've only found one single application which doesn't yet work in Windows 8 and it's a professional design program.

there might be a lot of unknown issues in windows 8 reagarding compatibility too.
said:

Windows 8 has been available since August. Any major compatibility issues are well documented by now.

said:

This only applies to WinRT (not to be confused with Windows RT) applications, which aren't available on Windows 7 at all. Traditional Win32 applications run just fine.

said:

There are some changes that take getting used to. It does require you to use the windows key a lot more.

side by side to slowly get a feel of it, so that u can decide. if u like it or not said:

side by side to slowly get a feel of it, so that u can decide. if u like it or not

That's not a bad idea. I believe that both operating systems can be installed for 90 days before activation is required.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 7:22:53 PM

doesnt take any getting used to. install classic shell or start 8 and boom, it works exactly like windows 7... only faster.

you do not have to use metro. you can boot straight to desktop.
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2013 2:39:36 AM

Pinhedd said:
It's all around faster, not just in demanding games. Startup and shutdown are much faster, as are application loading times.

So is Windows 8. I've only found one single application which doesn't yet work in Windows 8 and it's a professional design program.

Windows 8 has been available since August. Any major compatibility issues are well documented by now.

This only applies to WinRT (not to be confused with Windows RT) applications, which aren't available on Windows 7 at all. Traditional Win32 applications run just fine.

There are some changes that take getting used to. It does require you to use the windows key a lot more.

That's not a bad idea. I believe that both operating systems can be installed for 90 days before activation is required.

u killed my comment :lol: 
but yeah since he has both a dual boot will be a nice choice
or windows 8 with classic shell or start 8.
!