Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire HD 7770 OC - computer freezing during games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2013 5:38:56 PM

Well, I created a build a little while back for a small ginger that just wanted to play some casual games like Torchlight 2 and the like. He's been having this problem where the computer's picture just freezes, let out this loud crackle through the speakers quickly, then the computer is unresponsive after that. You cannot alt tab, ctrl alt delete, nothing. This all happens about 5 minutes into the game. I'm very confused and I haven't troubleshot too much but here are the specifications.

CPU: Intel i3-3240
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 - This card to be exact: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4...
PSU: Corsair CX500 500w
MB: Gigabyte Z77 board, it`s mATX, not sure of the product number though

So, the troubleshooting that I have done so far are the following:

1. Unplugged all of the PSU cables, and completely redid the wiring of the computer, to make sure of no loose cables.
2. Reseated the graphics card, to make sure that it was in the PCI-E slot correctly
3. Looked up the PSU specifications and made sure it can run the card, an AMD 7770 needs 28A of power, this power supply can put up to 34A on the 12v rail.
4. Tried gaming in window mode, it only prolongs the process. Instead of freezing after 5 minutes, it freezes after 7 minutes.
5. Checked temperatures, the card is definitely not overheating as it is staying at a comfy 60 degree temperature at 100% load.
6. Ran a stress test, and the card ran completely fine. Furmark did nothing to this card other than help me check temperatures. While this was happening Prime95 was on aswell.

I still for the life of me cannot find the problem with this PC. I am trying to figure it out because well his dad is not the most understanding person when it comes to how he spends his money, and if he told him about it not working it wouldn`t be the best for him, or myself since I built it. Any thoughts will help indefinitely. Thanks a ton in advance.
January 25, 2013 6:35:45 PM

Did you run driver sweeper then reinstall catalyst? Also, on one of my previous amd cards I had accidentally turned on extra features in catalyst that my card couldn't handle and it flipped out.
m
l
January 25, 2013 11:34:36 PM

Never tried that, when I get to my friend`s tomorrow I will definitely hook him up and try to find out if it is driver problems.
m
l
January 26, 2013 3:21:41 PM

Yeah, That is not the problem. Uninstalled the drivers with driver sweeper and put in the newest production build of catalyst. 12.10 didn't work, swept it and 12.11 didn't work either. Both of them have the same result with just the games freezing after about 7 minutes of gameplay. Something I should probably mention is that the only games that crash are directx games like BF3, Metro 2033 and almost every real game out there. Anything flash oriented, OpenGL or Java does not crash. Minecraft is fine, Don't Starve is fine.
m
l
!