Sign in with
Your question

Why is my graphics card idling so hot?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2013 8:28:48 PM

Hey guys,

So recently my graphics card started acting up. I thought it was windows or corrupted software, so I reinstalled windows several times. Each time failing at keeping it working. I soon discovered it was the graphics card heating up to ridiculous amounts of heat. In the past, this would not happen, I custom built this computer and it was running perfectly for a year with me cleaning out the dust every so often.

My card will idle around 80c - 90c and when I'm in game, If I play on highest settings, the thing over heats and shuts down my computer. If turn the settings down to the lowest possible, it will stay around 100c and not overheat. This is only tested with the game "League of Legends". NOTE, my CPU and Motherboard idle around 40c. So case airflow is fine.

I checked everything and it seems I can't find a fix to all this...

What I tried:
- Cleaning out the fans thoroughly, case fans and heat sink.
- Reapplying new thermal paste compound to the graphics card heat sink.
- Using new power cables to connect the graphics card to the PSU.
- Cleaning out the PSU.
- Cleaning out the PSU's dust filter.
- Unplugging one of the two monitors.
- Completely reinstalling CCC. (Also, this refuses to open most of the time.)

None of these have yielded a solution to my problem.
I will post my specs so you guys can give me ideas on how to solve this issue.

CPU = AMD Phenom II X4 965 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
RAM = 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (No Link)
Motherboard = ASUS M5A97 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
-------------
Graphics Card = XFX AMD Radeon HD 6850 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
EdpNo=1368436) - This is the version I got but I didn't buy it from tigerdirect.com
-------------
Hard Drive = 1TB Western Digital (No Link)
Computer Case = COOLER MASTER HAF 912 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

The case is pretty decked out with fans and I have a very good airflow inside the case, so that certainly is not the problem.

Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 8:48:00 PM

What software are you using to monitor the temperature? How is the cooler seated on the graphics card? It sounds like it just isn't tight enough.
m
l
January 25, 2013 8:55:37 PM

What software are you using to monitor the temperature? said:
What software are you using to monitor the temperature?

I'm using MSI Afterburner, and yes, I do have overclocking disabled.

How is the cooler seated on the graphics card? It sounds like it just isn't tight enough. said:
How is the cooler seated on the graphics card? It sounds like it just isn't tight enough.

I'm not sure how to answer this, it's just seated how it was when I first got it. I guess.
I put everything back together nicely, but I'll try tightening screws some more.

m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2013 8:58:32 PM

Okay guys, I just checked, and for some reason, the heatsink fan will spin, stop, spin, stop over and over.
(Spins for 2 seconds then stops for 2 seconds.)

I don't know what this is all about.
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:00:36 PM

Don't over tighten them if they don't want to go,did the problem just randomly start happening or is this a somewhat new gpu?
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:01:13 PM

Did you just update drivers on anything?
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 9:03:39 PM

You wouldn't by chance have the model number of your case would you? having a bunch of fans does not ensure a large amount of airflow as the fans may not be pushing much and maybe my guess is you may have all the fans doing the same thing pushing air in or pushing out.
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:10:37 PM

robthatguyx said:
Don't over tighten them if they don't want to go,did the problem just randomly start happening or is this a somewhat new gpu?

Ive had this GPU for about a year, I didnt over tighten the screw and they are on firmly.
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:11:51 PM

robthatguyx said:
Did you just update drivers on anything?

Not that I know of, I am using the lastesr AMD drivers, however. This over heating problem randomly started.
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 9:13:40 PM

Hmm, do you think possibly something is up with the thermal. Are you comfortable re applying thermal to the gpu?
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:14:09 PM

bigshootr8 said:
You wouldn't by chance have the model number of your case would you? having a bunch of fans does not ensure a large amount of airflow as the fans may not be pushing much and maybe my guess is you may have all the fans doing the same thing pushing air in or pushing out.

I bought this case directly from newegg (the link) and I have 3 fans pushing out (1 rear, 2 front) and 2 openings without fans on the side and top. The top of the case has a massive space for air to be drawn in.
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:17:00 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Hmm, do you think possibly something is up with the thermal. Are you comfortable re applying thermal to the gpu?

I used thermal paste that came with a cpu mount, unless you are telling my there is thermal paste designed for different parts. Otherwise, I applied it the same way I applied it to my cpu heatsink, and my cpu is cool.
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:23:42 PM

WolfieCube said:
Okay guys, I just checked, and for some reason, the heatsink fan will spin, stop, spin, stop over and over.
(Spins for 2 seconds then stops for 2 seconds.)

I don't know what this is all about.

Try to change gpu fan speed. Use afterburner or other similar apps for that. Try that to see if it solving your fan problem
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 9:25:19 PM

What I'm saying is if you would be comfortable re applying thermal to your graphics card chip.

Also, I have a cooler master sniper.

Here is my current setup.

I had this SLi setup last summer.

And the issue I had was I wanted a new case so I bought this one. And my temperatures skyrocketed. My Sli setup went from hanging in the low 70s to the high 80s. So I'm just trying to paint a picture for you. That its either lack of airflow or the card is doing a poor job cooling itself with the thermal transfer from chip to heatsink or the cooler itself.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:25:23 PM

Quote:
geezaz.. guys, he said "Okay guys, I just checked, and for some reason, the heatsink fan will spin, stop, spin, stop over and over.
(Spins for 2 seconds then stops for 2 seconds.)"

It's most likely the fan... you should change it. - or far less likely the fan's power supply. There is no fan setting that would allow the fan to stop... so it's not a software setting problem.

So are you recommending I need to get a new heatsink? If so, can you please recommend one compatible with my card?
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:27:42 PM

ashharun said:
Try to change gpu fan speed. Use afterburner or other similar apps for that. Try that to see if it solving your fan problem

I've been using afterburner and it hasn't really helped much other than showing me the temperatures and setting the fan speed. It will still fluctuate between on and off regardless of the setting.
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:31:43 PM

You don't necessarily have to get a heatsink, try getting just new fan.

It sounds like the fan is bad that is all. Though it could be something in the plug also so you might want to find a way to try and get the pan through another connector to check.

As far as what I would recommend I don't know a clue what your fan mounting system looks like or the diameter of it.
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:32:01 PM
January 25, 2013 9:32:09 PM

if your card warranty is over (or you okay to break your warranty) take after market fan for gpu like one bigshootr gave.
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:49:44 PM

hehe, it just an example of what he should get :) . Of course many other products out there cheaper than that. And most important, grab one that fit perfectly with your card
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
January 25, 2013 9:49:55 PM

he could do that as well replace the fan although I'm not sure the size of his particular fan. Whether he has one fan or two. And I would talk to XFX prior to really modifying things. If the fan isn't rotating I would suspect something is up could be the fan isn't working or the cards fan controller is wonky. Could do the thermal idea I told you and quite possibly get a 3 pin fan extender and manually connect it to the motherboard if possible I'm not sure if you have the 1 fan or 2 fan card your link hasn't worked for me.
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:51:41 PM

Quote:
80$ for a gpu heatsink... I for one would not pay more than half of the current price of the card for a heatsink...

Have you tried rotating the fan manually... if you feel it resisting (even slightly) you can be sure it's the fan... if it doesn't oppose resistance, you should check with a voltmeter if the output is correct...

In my opinion it's 99.9% probability that you need to change the fan.

The fan has a bit of resistance to it when I spin it. Can you link me a place to purchase a new one for this graphics card?
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:51:53 PM

did you use the "never settle driver" from AMD..??
if yes, that's what make your issue comes.
i has install that driver, no overclock. And now my 7770 was overheat
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:53:33 PM

okoy said:
did you use the "never settle driver" from AMD..??
if yes, that's what make your issue comes.
i has install that driver, no overclock. And now my 7770 was overheat

I'm not sure what that is, but I can double check to see if I did.
m
l
January 25, 2013 11:40:00 PM

Okay, so I took off the fan that was connected to the heatsink and I spinned it around a few times, blew into it, cleaned out it and the top of the heatsink canned air couldn't reach. And I reattached everything and it seems the fan is running normally again!

Yay!

The only problem now is that it makes weird noises when I speed it up to high rates... Anyone know why? I tried to loosen the screws a little... Maybe I didn't do it enough...
m
l
January 26, 2013 12:40:36 AM

It just plain sounds like your cooler is starting to go.Maybe time to look into a gpu upgrade? Amd 8 series are around the corner,maybe look into them?
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
January 26, 2013 12:49:01 AM

The fan could be going it also could be that your card is having a hard time placing the RPM speed of the fans.
m
l
January 26, 2013 1:42:31 AM

bigshootr8 said:
The fan could be going it also could be that your card is having a hard time placing the RPM speed of the fans.

It makes a weird noise when it is spinning around 30%+ speed. I don't know what it is, it's not normal. But it's not really loud, kinda a humm.
m
l
a c 127 U Graphics card
January 26, 2013 1:54:41 AM

Always the possibility that the fan itself might just be loud. Was it making that sound before there were issues?

But yes, it might just be the fan going. Might be a good opportunity to upgrade the card, I wouldn't bother getting a new aftermarket cooler for the card given its age.
m
l
January 26, 2013 3:47:42 PM

manofchalk said:
Always the possibility that the fan itself might just be loud. Was it making that sound before there were issues?

But yes, it might just be the fan going. Might be a good opportunity to upgrade the card, I wouldn't bother getting a new aftermarket cooler for the card given its age.

No, it has never been like this, its usually quiet. I cant tell if its hitting of somethin or if I need to oil it up?
m
l
January 26, 2013 4:40:00 PM

Honestly i think your better off just saving up for something along the line of a 7950 or 660ti, it would boost your fps by a longshot and clear you of your fan problem.
m
l
!