2560x1440 Monitor Questions

chrase13

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
I recently ordered a Dell Ultrasharp U2713H 27" Monitor and had a few concerns being that this is my first monitor of this resolution. Optimal Res for this monitor is listed at 2560 x 1440 at 60 Hz I was wondering what type of cable I will need to actually be able to play at those high resolutions. I currently use a standard HDMI cable but I didn't think that would go past 1920x1080. This monitor will be used for gaming so I was also wondering if most or all games play on these resolutions.

PC Specs:
i7 3930K water cooled
Dual 2GB 6950'
256GB SSD
16GB Ram

toddybody

Distinguished

Should be good to go with either (assuming the DVI-D is a Dual Link DVI).

FWIW, I just bought a Dell u2713HM Display (2560x1440) and it came with a slew of appropriate cables. Have fun gaming on 1400p!

chrase13

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
So then the Display Port (Mini DP to DP) would be the preferred choice then? it looks like my graphics cards do have the mini ports. I see two mini ports so I'm assuming one of the two would work with this cable.

Yes, yes it would. And display port is royalty free which means you can get cables for pretty cheap if you don't have one. But yea you would use the adapter connect the display port cable from your monitor to the mini dp to dp and be just fine.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
The spec allows for it, it would depend on the output on the card and the cable he's using. I'm not sure how the 6950 is configured, it's very possible that the HDMI output is for HT only (24 fps). Obviously DVI is the easiest way to go.

This is true for the newest versions of HDMI (as shown in cuecuemore's link), but very few monitors or video cards actually provide support for these resolutions over HDMI, even if they support other features of newer versions of HDMI.

Edit: additionally, it seems like the HDMI version is almost never specified in video card or monitor specifications.