2x4GB Kingston 1333Mhz
Corsair SSD 60GB
Seagate 500GB Sata III
An old Samsung hd of 320GB which I don't recall the model
Seasonic 620w(80plus bronze certified) power supply
Gigabyte B75M-D3H/ MSI P67S-C43
Sapphire AMD HD 6850

So the problem is:
Past weekend my PC didn't boot up. It was doing 3 beeps(memory failure) and I tried all possible combinations of memory X slot in the motherboard. So I decided clean all components(I just removed the dust to be accurate) . After that, the PC didn't power on. No more beeps, nothing. The led didn't turn on, all fans starts to revolve but less than one second after they stops. I thought the motherboard(the MSI) fried and bought another(Gigabyte).

The problem persisted after changed the motherboard. The new model has onboard video so I tried to turn on without the videocard and the PC booted up!!!! So either gpu or powersupply is with problems. I plugged in an very old HD 4850 and the PC worked as well.

So the topic question:
Did my gpu die after just remove dust with a brush?

PS: Sorry for any grammar mistakes, english isn't my first language so I probably did a lot of them.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dead
  1. I doubt it's the power supply since it worked before you cleaned the system, and it's still working now.

Have you tried using the 6850 with the new mobo?
  2. aramisathei said:
    I doubt it's the power supply since it worked before you cleaned the system, and it's still working now.

Have you tried using the 6850 with the new mobo?

Yes, I did and the problem persists.
  3. Best answer
    Video cards come in anti static bags, that being because static will kill them. A brush will kill a video card from making static, and I've seen other posts where this happened from a brush cleaning it and it never working again. There is a small chance that's not what happened, and I would hope your video card isn't dead, but it appears as if it is that way.
  4. zycuda said:
    Video cards come in anti static bags, that being because static will kill them. A brush will kill a video card from making static, and I've seen other posts where this happened from a brush cleaning it and it never working again. There is a small chance that's not what happened, and I would hope your video card isn't dead, but it appears as if it is that way.

Now I realize what huge mistake I did. Even if isn't the case I won't clean a PC with a brush anymore. Thanks for the tip.

But, there is a new info. If I try to power on without the power cable plugged on the videocard the PC start but without display(I guess because doen't have enough power)
  5. That new info would mean its the video card, and to clean a PC use a can of air next time, and you could use this opportunity to upgrade to a really good card, sorry that your video card died.
  6. Best answer selected by Lehow.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics