2x4GB Kingston 1333Mhz
Corsair SSD 60GB
Seagate 500GB Sata III
An old Samsung hd of 320GB which I don't recall the model
Seasonic 620w(80plus bronze certified) power supply
Gigabyte B75M-D3H/ MSI P67S-C43
Sapphire AMD HD 6850

So the problem is:
Past weekend my PC didn't boot up. It was doing 3 beeps(memory failure) and I tried all possible combinations of memory X slot in the motherboard. So I decided clean all components(I just removed the dust to be accurate) . After that, the PC didn't power on. No more beeps, nothing. The led didn't turn on, all fans starts to revolve but less than one second after they stops. I thought the motherboard(the MSI) fried and bought another(Gigabyte).

The problem persisted after changed the motherboard. The new model has onboard video so I tried to turn on without the videocard and the PC booted up!!!! So either gpu or powersupply is with problems. I plugged in an very old HD 4850 and the PC worked as well.

So the topic question:
Did my gpu die after just remove dust with a brush?

PS: Sorry for any grammar mistakes, english isn't my first language so I probably did a lot of them.

More about : gpu dead

January 25, 2013 9:23:10 PM

I doubt it's the power supply since it worked before you cleaned the system, and it's still working now.

Have you tried using the 6850 with the new mobo?
m
l
January 25, 2013 9:35:02 PM

aramisathei said:
I doubt it's the power supply since it worked before you cleaned the system, and it's still working now.

Have you tried using the 6850 with the new mobo?

Yes, I did and the problem persists.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

January 25, 2013 9:42:02 PM

Video cards come in anti static bags, that being because static will kill them. A brush will kill a video card from making static, and I've seen other posts where this happened from a brush cleaning it and it never working again. There is a small chance that's not what happened, and I would hope your video card isn't dead, but it appears as if it is that way.
January 25, 2013 10:23:30 PM

zycuda said:
Video cards come in anti static bags, that being because static will kill them. A brush will kill a video card from making static, and I've seen other posts where this happened from a brush cleaning it and it never working again. There is a small chance that's not what happened, and I would hope your video card isn't dead, but it appears as if it is that way.

Now I realize what huge mistake I did. Even if isn't the case I won't clean a PC with a brush anymore. Thanks for the tip.

But, there is a new info. If I try to power on without the power cable plugged on the videocard the PC start but without display(I guess because doen't have enough power)
m
l
January 25, 2013 10:38:00 PM

That new info would mean its the video card, and to clean a PC use a can of air next time, and you could use this opportunity to upgrade to a really good card, sorry that your video card died.
m
l
January 26, 2013 1:04:50 AM

Best answer selected by Lehow.
m
l
!