Computer will not detect GPU

youngjosh13

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hello all, long time viewer first time poster. I've tried searching as much as I could but am unable to find an answer which works for my problem.

Just built a new rig, with a new mobo/cpu but everything else was re-used from last build.

The problem I have is that my PC no longer recognizes my GPU. The GPU fan spins and is properly powered, just nothing will show on my display when I have monitors plugged into it, under device manager PCI is not listed, and CCC does not identify it either.

The GPU is a EAH4870, the new mobo is ASrock h67m-itx,new CPU is i5 3470, RAM is ripjaws 1333 (2X8GB), SSD/HD in RAID (working properly)

Again the only thing I've changed since my AMD build was the CPU/Mobo.

The only thing I can think of is that the GPU is not functioning properly, and maybe I damaged it somehow during installation, but I am very careful during my builds so I hope that's not the case.

All drivers are up to date.

BIOS is up to date.

There are no options in BIOS to disable onboard graphics. (or other options to set a primary source for video output)

I'm thinking the GPU is bad unless someone else (hopefully) has an idea.

Thanks!

there a setting under north bridge chipset called Multi-Monitor
Use this to enable or disable IGD Multi-Monitor by Internal Graphics
Device. The default value is [Disabled]. set it to enabled for both gpu.

make sure you installed the intel chipset drivers from intel. there newer then the mb driver cd.

JeauxBleaux

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
It's just a thought, but you may need to go into BIOS to the Northbridge configuration screen and select "Primary Graphics Adapter ' then select "PCIE".

If you can't get the monitor on long enough to do this, then reset CMOS and the BIOS will default to "PCIE".

youngjosh13

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead to the North Bridge settings, it is already on PCIE as the default, but still nothing shows when plugging in monitors or nothing is detected.

youngjosh13

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Thanks smorizio for your reply. I went into BIOS and multi monitor support was "disabled" I went ahead and Enabled it. I still am not able to detect or use my GPU.

All of my drivers are up to date with the latest versions.

Interestingly, when unplugging or plugging in a monitor to my MotherBoard DVI/HDMI outputs I get the connections or disconnection sounds (like when you plug or unplug a USB) but no sound or indication of connection when plugging my monitors into the GPU.

Just a side note.

ok we now know it not a bios or chipset issue. it now sounds to me like your missing power for the card. these cards have two 6 pin power plugs on the back of the cards. if both of them are not plugged in the card will not turn on. the other issue if both 6 pin plugs have power the nthe 4/.8 pin atx power on the mb is not connected or is loose. the 4 pin white connector is next to the pci vidoe slot.

youngjosh13

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Thanks for your reply!

I checked my power routing and it all appeared to be correct. I went ahead and tried to run it a different way, but still no dice. The card still appears to power up okay.

The 4 PIN mb connection is connected and secure.

Thanks for the ideas unfortunately my card is still not working.

Is there any way to test the card itself? I don't have another desktop to check that way.

Thanks!

install the newest intel chipset drivers and then reboot. when you reboot if the card is working in the device manager is should show up. also make sure you have the intel gpu control panel installed. with you running on the onboard gpu the other gpu will be set up as the second monitor and you have to turn it on inside of intel/amd/nvidia control panel.