Nokia 6600 / NHL-10 problem - no audio from earpiece

Last response: in Brands
Share
August 4, 2005 2:27:41 AM

Hi Folks,

Having dramas with a Nokia 6600/NHL-10 handset. Called Nokia
'customer service' who referred me to 'customer care' - both
were pretty much useless (ie: didn't want to hear about the
problem, just "give us money and we'll look at it")

So I turn to you!

Symptom: No audio from in-phone earpiece during calls.
'Loudspeaker' function doesn't (ie: option is
displayed during calls, but doesn't work). Other
party *can* hear me speak (ie: microphone is ok)

Also, handset won't play *some* sounds. Midis,
and the 'awc' audio *does* play, but all other
ringtones, keyboard beeps, etc, do not. (Does
this mean software drama, or do the midis play
out of the rear speaker and is this simply a
earpiece fallen out issue?)

Handset: Nokia 6600 / NHL-10
In standard form, no accessories fitted. Original
(included in box) 32Mb MMC card installed.
Occasional in-car use with (genuine) PPH-1
hands free kit

Firmware: v3.42.1 / 16-10-03 / NHL-10

Network: Optus GSM post-paid (Australia)
Recently used on assorted networks in Hong Kong,
Shanghai, Singapore - worked fine everywhere.
Failure occurred a few days after return to Oz

I tried: Lots of power on/off resets
Lots of battery out resets
Hard reset with Send + * + 3 on power up (with
and without SIM/MMC fitted)
Soft reset with *#7370# (with and without SIM/MMC
fitted)

Any thoughts, ideas, solutions, quotes-to-repair? :-) (email
address is real if you prefer to respond offline)

Thanks in advance,

August 4, 2005 3:36:35 AM

Not sure, probably best if you strip your phone yourself. Been a while since
I've had mine open but I'm pretty sure there are some ribbon cables that
connect everything. A link how to disable your phone is below. Once you have
undone the screws any put a pin to ease off the case, just run a credit card
round the outside of it. Probably cost more to send the phone to be repaired
than to buy a new one

http://www.gbnetwork.co.uk/6600/disassembly/

"GB" <n6600@threefiddy.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> Having dramas with a Nokia 6600/NHL-10 handset. Called Nokia
> 'customer service' who referred me to 'customer care' - both
> were pretty much useless (ie: didn't want to hear about the
> problem, just "give us money and we'll look at it")
>
> So I turn to you!
>
> Symptom: No audio from in-phone earpiece during calls.
> 'Loudspeaker' function doesn't (ie: option is
> displayed during calls, but doesn't work). Other
> party *can* hear me speak (ie: microphone is ok)
>
> Also, handset won't play *some* sounds. Midis,
> and the 'awc' audio *does* play, but all other
> ringtones, keyboard beeps, etc, do not. (Does
> this mean software drama, or do the midis play
> out of the rear speaker and is this simply a
> earpiece fallen out issue?)
>
> Handset: Nokia 6600 / NHL-10
> In standard form, no accessories fitted. Original
> (included in box) 32Mb MMC card installed.
> Occasional in-car use with (genuine) PPH-1
> hands free kit
>
> Firmware: v3.42.1 / 16-10-03 / NHL-10
>
> Network: Optus GSM post-paid (Australia)
> Recently used on assorted networks in Hong Kong,
> Shanghai, Singapore - worked fine everywhere.
> Failure occurred a few days after return to Oz
>
> I tried: Lots of power on/off resets
> Lots of battery out resets
> Hard reset with Send + * + 3 on power up (with
> and without SIM/MMC fitted)
> Soft reset with *#7370# (with and without SIM/MMC
> fitted)
>

> Any thoughts, ideas, solutions, quotes-to-repair? :-) (email
> address is real if you prefer to respond offline)
>
> Thanks in advance,

August 5, 2005 4:40:37 AM

"John Kester" <j.kester@aolhell.com> wrote in
> Not sure, probably best if you strip your phone yourself. Been a while
> since I've had mine open but I'm pretty sure there are some ribbon
> cables that connect everything.

Thanks John. I was starting to give the handset the evil eye
(as in "I'm gonna dismantle you") already. Followed the instructions
you linked to as far as getting the front cover off, and then
stalled because I was in the office, and my T6 driver was at
home!

On the way home, I got to thinking. This telephone is behaving like
it was plugged into the PPH-1 hands free kit. The last time I
remember it working properly was in the car. I wonder if...

So I went down and hopped in my car, powered the car up, plugged
the phone in/out/in/out a few times and... it came back to life!

The phone seemed to have decided that it was connected to the
hands free kit, and was behaving accordingly. All along I was
unconvinced that the problem was hardware, because there were a
whole range of things happening that *must* have been more than
just a loose cable or a fried component.

So I didn't need to dismantle the phone, and I still have no
idea where my t6 driver is!

> Once you have undone the screws any put a pin to ease off the
> case, just run a credit card round the outside of it.

Credit card was a good move, thanks. I would have used a flat
bladed screwdriver and carved up the case! The phone came out of
the exercise largely unscathed despite my ham fisted approach!

> Probably cost more to send the phone to be repaired than to
> buy a new one

Zactly. I actually did a shop around for a new phone yesterday
and, price aside, there really isn't anything on the market right
now that interests me. Remember when telephones were things you
talked to people on?! I wanted speakerphone (for talking on the
phone without taking my motorcycle helmet off), scope for a
car kit, maybe a camera, and something that can talk to a computer
for SMS (ie: not a symbian phone). There's really nothing out
there. I had actually dug out a couple of old Nokia 8210s and was
planning to revert to those if I couldn't get the 6600 to work!

Thanks,

August 5, 2005 4:43:40 AM

GB <g.b@sonicresearch.mailme.org> wrote in news:9AyIe.171$Tg4.6063
@news.optus.net.au:
> On the way home, I got to thinking. This telephone is behaving like
> it was plugged into the PPH-1 hands free kit. The last time I
> remember it working properly was in the car. I wonder if...
> So I went down and hopped in my car, powered the car up, plugged
> the phone in/out/in/out a few times and... it came back to life!
> The phone seemed to have decided that it was connected to the
> hands free kit, and was behaving accordingly. All along I was
> unconvinced that the problem was hardware, because there were a
> whole range of things happening that *must* have been more than
> just a loose cable or a fried component.

Forgot to mention: What surprises me about this whole exercise
is that I had actually reset and formatted the phone several times.

I reset twice using *#7370# *and* reset twice using 'Send' +

Through all that, the phone still thought it had a car kit up
its bum. Maybe the problem *was* mechanical.

Go figure.

August 5, 2005 12:30:00 PM

I think its just a leaf switch inside the bottom of the phone but it should
come up with the headphones icon on the phone to tell you that it was using
hands free/headphones.