Screen turns black/gray when launching a game

psychovik

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 and was playing games for the whole day and around 7pm when I was playing Far Cry 3 my whole computer just turned of instantly, I turned it back on and launched Far Cry 3 again but after about 5 minutes of playing it the game crashed and I got a black screen, and I had to turn of my computer my self. So I turned on my computer again and launched Far Cry 3 again and now it crashed instantly in the main menu giving me a white screen. After turning in the computer again I played another FPS game and at first it crashed giving me a gray screen. After turning on my computer again I launched the same FPS game and I could play it but I would have low frame rate of about 60 FPS, before this moment I would cap out the game at 200 FPS. I did a system restore, but it didn't do anything since when I launched Far Cry 3 it crashed instantly in the main menu. And so I'm asking for help of what I could do to resolve this issue, thank you.

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
First off, what settings are you playing far cry 3 at to be getting 200fps? You could make you game look way better. Second, have you tried other games? Before you can say there is a problem with hardware, you need to make sure it isn't a problem with that one program.

psychovik

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
far cry 3 I have everything set to max, the 200 fps is what I get on another game its called A.V.A its a shooter, I have tried Arma 2 the dayz mod and it gave me a grey screen. What would be a best way to check if I have a problem with the hardware?

psychovik

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Today in the morning I tried to run a game again and it did the gray screen again, but this time after about 20 seconds and sent to the desktop with a message saying something like the NVIDIA drivers crashed and were restored and after 10 seconds it did the gray screen again and gave the same message. I restarted the computer and my screen resolution is very bad, and when I opened up the Device Manager and went under my graphics card it said "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".