Connect DVD player?

Last response: in Home Audio
July 2, 2004 1:12:57 AM

I got this new DVD player, but I don't know where to plug it in. I have a
Yamaha receiver
RX596 (older model) that I run my Bose speakers through, but it doesn't have
S-video or component. TV has S-video and component plugs. Receiver has CD,
LD, phono, etc. Also have a Dish for TV. Salesman tried to sell me monster
cables so I could access the progressive scan on DVD, but I didn't go for
it. I'm confused.... I really would appreciate if someone could help me
with this.
Thanks,
PZ

More about : connect dvd player

Anonymous
July 2, 2004 9:20:00 AM

Looks like you may need to just take the component or S-video direct to the
tv, and route the audio through the receiver. The tv may still have a
regular (composite) video input somewhere, but it may be on the front panel,
which would make it rather inconvenient and clumsy for a permanent
installation.

Mark Z.

"psmrmn" <pzmrmn@spin.net> wrote in message
> I got this new DVD player, but I don't know where to plug it in. I have a
> Yamaha receiver
> RX596 (older model) that I run my Bose speakers through, but it doesn't
have
> S-video or component. TV has S-video and component plugs. Receiver has
CD,
> LD, phono, etc. Also have a Dish for TV. Salesman tried to sell me
monster
> cables so I could access the progressive scan on DVD, but I didn't go for
> it. I'm confused.... I really would appreciate if someone could help me
> with this.
> Thanks,
> PZ

Anonymous
July 3, 2004 2:05:16 PM

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:12:57 -0600, "psmrmn" <pzmrmn@spin.net> wrote:

>I got this new DVD player, but I don't know where to plug it in. I have a
>Yamaha receiver
>RX596 (older model) that I run my Bose speakers through, but it doesn't have
>S-video or component. TV has S-video and component plugs. Receiver has CD,
>LD, phono, etc. Also have a Dish for TV. Salesman tried to sell me monster
>cables so I could access the progressive scan on DVD, but I didn't go for
>it. I'm confused.... I really would appreciate if someone could help me
>with this.

Plug component vid out from DVD player to TV component in for best
quality. You may use a set (3) of any decent quality 75 ohm cable for
component. Next in quality would be the S-Vid.

You have an analog stereo receiver, so you are limited to the analog
L/R audio outs from the DVD player to the receiver to any line level
input. I recommend the LD or CD input, but it doesn't matter. AUX,
or tape in would work too.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
|edelsgNO@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 6:58:49 PM

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
> Looks like you may need to just take the component or S-video direct to the
> tv, and route the audio through the receiver. The tv may still have a
> regular (composite) video input somewhere,
. . .which you would want to avoid at all costs anyway. The S-video
quality blows away the composite, and the component connection is better
still. Your 'may need' suggestion was totally on the money and is the
absolute best option for his setup.

but it may be on the front panel,
> which would make it rather inconvenient and clumsy for a permanent
> installation.
>
> Mark Z.

I'm not trying to argue, but your post made it look like he was
compromising with the first suggestion, and I wanted him to appreciate
that connecting the S-video (better) or component connection (best) is
the best options is his scenario. Video going straight to the TV is how
I would prefer it in my setup as well.

CD