64 bit Win7, 6GB memory but only 4GB usable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark158

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Hi, I have Win7 64bit with 6GB memory. The Windows System control panel agrees with that showing 6GB ram and nothing about a limitation. But today I was opening a lot of files and the program wouldn't let me open more files after Windows memory use reached 4GB. Task Manager showed 4GB used out of 6GB. I tried opening another file with a different program and my screen flickered and the program shut itself off, so it looks like the problem is with Windows and not the other programs. How do I get Windows to use all available memory not just 4GB out of 6GB? Thanks.

Solution
I think i figured it out, your more than likely running a x86(32 bit) application on a x64 machine which would explain why that 32bit app only recognized 4 gigs of ram and not more. For an application to use more than 4 gigs of ram it will also have to be x64 bit.

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Check in your bios if you have an option called "Max Memory" Selected. If you have integrated graphics, you might have some of the memory allocated to graphics, which you should be able to determine in your bios as well.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Your motherboard might be limited to 4 gigs as a max, i would check your motherboard specs and make sure it supports more than 4 gigs of ram first because otherwise windows will show 6 gigs of ram but it will say next to it 3.97 or 4.0 gb usable.

Mark158

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
kelthic: I have a separate graphics card with plenty of its own memory, not integrated graphics. Even with the separate graphics card is it possible that the graphics are reserving some of the main memory?

Mightmaxio: as I said in my first post, Windows System control panel doesn't show a limitation like "4.0 gb usable".

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
you will have to check in your bios to make sure that this isn't the case, especially if you have integrated graphics in addition to your discrete gpu. Also, can you list the model of motherboard you have? We'll want to look into the point brought up by mightymax as well.

Mark158

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Strangely I was able to get Windows to use 4.5GB of RAM using a different application, so something's very strange here if it wouldn't let me go past 4GB before.

The motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R. The manufacturer says that it supports up to 24GB memory.

The RAM is GSKILL F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI, which is 3x2GB.

Thanks for your help. Any other ideas about what could be causing Windows to have acted like it only had 4GB available ram?

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I think i figured it out, your more than likely running a x86(32 bit) application on a x64 machine which would explain why that 32bit app only recognized 4 gigs of ram and not more. For an application to use more than 4 gigs of ram it will also have to be x64 bit.

Solution

Mark158

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
hanselb: this is the first time I've had any problems with memory on this computer, but I don't think that I've had so many files open at once before so this is why this problem just happend

mightymaxio: that explanation makes a lot of sense. Thank you!!!! I will come back here if I have more issues with this but I bet that you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.