Pace 4111n wireless gateway review

mellee

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I am upgrading to xfinity triple play. Was told to get a Pace modem (vs. renting one ) for phone/internet. I currently have a motorola surfboard. I am not too computer savvy and since folks at best buy could not help me, I searched internet and found your site. Can you explain to me what this modem does, what does emta stand for and are there other options? Thanks Ellen

Who told you to get a Pace modem? If you look here http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?s=c&so=1&e=0&d3=0&tier=-1&sc=198, that lists the approved modems for use with comcast. Pace is not one of them. Which means if you have any issues with their service, you are one your own.

If you already have a surfboard, that should be approved, check that site for your model. If you want to get wireless off that, get a wireless router to use with your modem. I don't like the all-in one gateway devices, too many things in one place to fail.

mellee

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

OK - I think I get it. So Comcast came today and installed a rented eMTA device/modem (Arris 502) which is in the "basic speed" list on link you sent me. I assume this speed refers to internet speed. So taking your advice I will use my Motorola modem for my internet access with router and will purchase a modem so i do not need to rent monthly from Comcast. Can you recommend a basic modem for the telephone. Also, with the new set-up, do I expect a difference in speed? Thanks

If you already have a modem, the surfboard, you should not need another one. You will need to have their equipment for phone service though, if the device they setup handles both phone and internet, you will need to use that. My setup has a modem for internet separate from the phone connection.

If their equipment is only for internet and network sharing, you can replace it with your own modem and router, provided it's on their supported list. Keep in mind that if there are any issues with service, once they confirm that they have a good signal, they may not help you further. Meaning you will need to trouble-shoot your own hardware and possibly replace it if bad.