Pc not even detecting gpu?!?

automiclivewire

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hello guys, I have just purchased a i7 2600k to run with my 7970 and I have bought the gigabyte motherboard z68x-ud3h-b3 motherboard. I was using my gpu fine on my old build and old motherboard but this new pc setup doesn't even pick up the gpu, I'm device manager the gpu doesn't show and I've even tried disabling the onboard graphics also. I've tried both pcie slots that are on the board and nothing. Surely both pcie's can't be bust?!?

Many thanks in advance :)

zdaggs

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Have you gone through all the available options in the BIOS? Maybe pci's are disabled or onboard graphics need to be disabled?

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Check to see if your system detects the GPU in bios.

I've had this issue a few times where the card simply wasn't seated properly, or I forgot to connect the PCI-E power cables, and thought it was a Windows issue until I realized I just made a simple mistake.

automiclivewire

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I have just tried another gpu in the pcie slot and it seemed fine and my gpu works in another pc so I'm not sure, have reseated many times but hasn't done anything :( maybe a bios update?

automiclivewire

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I am just going to send the graphics card back as I did have problems with it on my old computer, and I have updates the bios now but it has done nothing :( thanks :)

automiclivewire

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
*update* the card works with my old motherboard and the same psu that I'm using, could the cpu be the problem? It is working perfectly though so not too sure. Everything is pointing to the motherboard being the main issue :(

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
If the card works fine on other systems, and the current system can run another card just fine, then the issue is likely either that your PSU isn't providing enough power or that something isn't connected properly.

Check if your mobo has additional power connectors that need to be powered in order to run the card.

automiclivewire

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
*update* turns out it was the pcie rom being on the wrong rom, had to just change it to the legacy rom in the bios and all is working well :) Thanks for all the help guys! :)