Music CD-R blanks

I've been reading about music CD-R blanks and their purpose(legal
immunity from copyright issues) but I have one question that never
seems to be answered. Can these music CD-Rs be used in regular home
burners and if so, can data be recorded on them? Thank you.
6 answers Last reply
More about music blanks

    "Nick Wesh" wrote ...
    > I've been reading about music CD-R blanks and their
    > purpose (legal immunity from copyright issues)

    Huh? Since when did using music CDr blanks provide
    "immunity from copyright issues"? Can you provide a
    reference for this remarkable statement?

    > but I have one question that never seems to be answered.
    > Can these music CD-Rs be used in regular home
    > burners and if so, can data be recorded on them? Thank you.

    I think so, but since they cost more, most people don't do it.

    "Nick Wesh" <nick500@flashmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've been reading about music CD-R blanks and their purpose(legal
    > immunity from copyright issues) but I have one question that never
    > seems to be answered. Can these music CD-Rs be used in regular home
    > burners and if so, can data be recorded on them? Thank you.

    Yes and yes. Been there, done that but only in a pinch because of the extra
    cost.

    In article <10eans0ngukfbfd@corp.supernews.com>,
    Richard Crowley <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

    >"Nick Wesh" wrote ...
    >> I've been reading about music CD-R blanks and their
    >> purpose (legal immunity from copyright issues)
    >
    >Huh? Since when did using music CDr blanks provide
    >"immunity from copyright issues"? Can you provide a
    >reference for this remarkable statement?

    Google for "Audio Home Recording Act".

    Briefly: if you use the "consumer digital audio" recording media
    (which have had a royalty added into their wholesale price), in a
    "consumer digital audio recorder" (one which enforces SCMS, and which
    will record _only_ on the royalty-paid media, and which has also had a
    royalty added into its wholesale price), and you make a copy of a
    copyrighted musical work, and if this copy is made in a noncommercial
    context (i.e. if you give it away to a friend), then you are immune to
    either criminal or civil prosecution for copyright violation. The
    inclusion of the royalties in the disc and burner prices, and the
    enforcement of "only one generation of digital copying", is deemed to
    be an acceptable tradeoff by The Powers That Be.

    If you violate _any_ of these conditions (i.e. use a generic
    computer-type data disc, or burn the disc in a computer CD-RW drive,
    or do the copying in a commercial fashion), then the limited immunity
    does not apply, and The Men In Black may be knockin' on your door.

    >I think so, but since they cost more, most people don't do it.

    There's no technical reason why they won't work for data.

    The main technical difference between the two types of disc is based
    on the ATIP information ("absolute time in pregroove") - some
    administrative information which is physically molded into the disc in
    an interesting way. The ATIP data tells the recorder how much
    recording time is available on the disc, the ID of the manufacturer,
    some information about the disc's recording characteristics, and the
    disc's data type. The latter is "restricted use, general purpose" for
    a computer data disc, and "unrestricted use" for a royalty-paid
    consumer-audio disc.

    Also, the consumer-audio discs often use a dye which is optimized for
    burning at low speed (1x or 2x) as these discs are often burned in
    real-time. Generic data discs these days are usually dye-optimized
    for a high-speed burn.

    --
    Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO

    "Dave Platt" wrote ...
    > Briefly: if you use the "consumer digital audio" recording media
    > (which have had a royalty added into their wholesale price), in a
    > "consumer digital audio recorder" (one which enforces SCMS, and which
    > will record _only_ on the royalty-paid media, and which has also had a
    > royalty added into its wholesale price), and you make a copy of a
    > copyrighted musical work, and if this copy is made in a noncommercial
    > context (i.e. if you give it away to a friend), then you are immune to
    > either criminal or civil prosecution for copyright violation. The
    > inclusion of the royalties in the disc and burner prices, and the
    > enforcement of "only one generation of digital copying", is deemed to
    > be an acceptable tradeoff by The Powers That Be.

    OK. Then explain how the AHRA worked in the decades before
    music CD-R's existed?

    On 2 Jul 2004 06:05:23 -0700, nick500@flashmail.com (Nick Wesh) wrote:

    >I've been reading about music CD-R blanks and their purpose(legal
    >immunity from copyright issues) but I have one question that never
    >seems to be answered. Can these music CD-Rs be used in regular home
    >burners and if so, can data be recorded on them? Thank you.

    Yes. Yes.

    In article <10ecb7epv6u716c@corp.supernews.com>,
    Richard Crowley <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

    >> Briefly: if you use the "consumer digital audio" recording media
    >> (which have had a royalty added into their wholesale price), in a
    >> "consumer digital audio recorder" (one which enforces SCMS, and which
    >> will record _only_ on the royalty-paid media, and which has also had a
    >> royalty added into its wholesale price), and you make a copy of a
    >> copyrighted musical work, and if this copy is made in a noncommercial
    >> context (i.e. if you give it away to a friend), then you are immune to
    >> either criminal or civil prosecution for copyright violation. The
    >> inclusion of the royalties in the disc and burner prices, and the
    >> enforcement of "only one generation of digital copying", is deemed to
    >> be an acceptable tradeoff by The Powers That Be.
    >
    >OK. Then explain how the AHRA worked in the decades before
    >music CD-R's existed?

    It didn't. The Audio Home Recording Act was passed by Congress in
    1992, amending the Copyright Act of 1976. It was the AHRA which
    created the legal requirement that music CD-R discs be created. Prior
    to the passage of the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992, there simply
    was no legal concept of a "consumer digital audio recorder" (or
    "media"). The AHRA created this definition.

    Before the Act was passed into law, there was a bunch of uncertainty
    as to what sorts of home copying of music were legitimate and what
    were not. Home-recording advocates held out for a broad definition of
    "fair use", while some parties in the music industry were asserting
    that all home copying was illegal.

    The AHRA specifically legitimizes non-commercial _analog_ copying of
    music (no royalties are required), and legitimizes non-commercial
    _digital_ copying (with restrictions) in return for the mandated
    royalty payments, and a prohibition against making/selling/importing
    consumer-audio digital recorders which don't implement SCMS.

    I don't know how long it was between the time that the AHRA was
    passed, and the time that the first AHRA-compliant recorders and
    "music CD-Rs" appeared on the market. I suspect it wasn't too long,
    as the Act had been in negotiation between the various industry
    parties for quite some time prior to its passage. It certainly wasn't
    "decades".

    --
    Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO

Music CD-Rom Audio Product