Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How secure are my documents?

Last response: in Windows 7
March 20, 2012 12:09:45 AM

Hey now.

I'm always wondering about this. I have a laptop on which I have a password protected account. If someone steals this laptop and takes out the hdd, will they be able to access my documents by accessing it using another computer?

More about : secure documents

March 20, 2012 1:05:35 AM

They won't be able to access them without your password. The operating system and all its accounts live on the hard drive.
Well, scratch that. There are ways to get past the Windows password. The HDD won't be any less secure than the laptop as a whole, though.
Encrypt!
Related resources
March 20, 2012 10:01:45 AM

Right. That's what I thought. I'm not sure I like the idea of encrypting, though. I mean, when an encrypted HDD crashes, I can forget about the files forever.

Thanks for the info on encrypting a single folder, that's pretty cool. I thought you could only do an entire drive through Bitlocker.

Best solution

March 20, 2012 10:39:50 AM

Accessing unencrypted files can be as easy as booting a linux distribution from a CD or USB drive. The attacker doesn't even need to take the HDD out of the computer.

If you are worried about losing files, then regular backups will give you incredible peace of mind.
a b $ Windows 7
March 20, 2012 10:44:01 AM

there is a program called truecrypt.

i use it a lot

it lets you create an encrypted file container a bit like a suitcase with a lock

you can then take that with you on your laptop. and keep either a backup of the files at home unencrypted or a copy of that password hidden somewhere

it allows you to use keyfiles as well as password. in otherwords you can use a document/picture as part of the password

March 20, 2012 10:57:15 AM

Yeah, I looked into TrueCrypt, but I like the ease of Bitlocker because it's integrated with Windows. It's pretty much invisible if you use the automatic TPM-based setting.

I could also use Dropbox in conjunction with the drive encryption, so it would backup my files while unlocked. From what I understand Dropbox is pretty damn safe. They use all kinds of encryption as well.

Quote:
Accessing unencrypted files can be as easy as booting a linux distribution from a CD or USB drive. The attacker doesn't even need to take the HDD out of the computer.

Yeah, that's exactly what I don't want. There's just stuff on my computer that's nobody's business but mine. I would hate the fact more that some asshole can crawl through my personal documents than the fact that he stole my hardware.
March 27, 2012 1:16:52 AM

Best answer selected by Dickstar.
March 27, 2012 6:25:05 PM

Quote:
Certainly. If someone steal your laptop, he may reset your windows password with Windows Password Reseteasily, and he can see anything in your computer.
So, you should take well care of your computer .
This is completely against the Tom's TOS! :non: 
a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
a c 372 $ Windows 7
March 27, 2012 7:31:56 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!