GTX 670 and other issues with my new PC

mindstorm555

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
I would like to apologise for any spelling mistakes in advance but...

I recently bought a new PC for my birthday with my parents and built it with my dad(who has experience but i have none other then Youtube guides and reading). The spec is:

3rd gen Intel i5 3.4 ghz ivy bridge
Nvidia EVGA gtx 670 2gb vram
8gb DDR3 1600mhz ram (clocked at 1333 for reasons i'll explain later)
ASUS P8H77-V
600W Corsair PSU
2tb HDD 7200rpm
Windows 7 64 bit

1st issue is the ram clocked at 1333. If i put it at native 1600 my pc BSOD's on start. I have uped the voltage by a small amount as i heard that helped. It made it less frequent but i still crashes.

2nd and main issue is with my GTX 670. I have seen people with worse setups get better frame rate then i do and nothing i do seems to work. I have tried overclocking with Precision X, overclocking software from EVGA but that caused crashes of random colours and made a mess of everything. My laptop gets better frames then this which confuses me no end. These issues have been from day one, all the drivers are up to date as far as i can see. At the start i had lots of blue screens which i narrowed down to the RAM and was wondering if that could cause the problem. I'd rather not reinstall windows if i can but its an option.

I'm at a loss, any help is appreciated, sorry if ive made any mistakes im a noob :)

JeauxBleaux

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
In ASUS BIOS, have you tried turning on X.M.P.? If your memory isn't X.M.P. rated, it is a little difficult to get it to run at 1600MHz. But it can be done with the right settings.

We are all noobs at something.. :)

mindstorm555

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Thank you so much Jeaux Bleaux, I have fixed this issue now, it was due too running dual monitors and one monitor was older then the other and the GPU struggled. I know i can talk to helpful people here if i have another issue. THANKS GUYS

JeauxBleaux

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

You're very welcome!

I think it's great that you were able to discover the issue with your monitor setup, that's the best way to learn.