Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Asus GTX 670 acting like its Overheating at ~60c.

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Asus
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2013 10:20:53 AM

Currently idling at 49c as I type. Only firefox and winamp open.

When I play games after about 10mins or when the GPU's temp nears 60c, starting at around 54c, I begin to notice stutter of fps and audio.
Been running around the net looking for the various amounts of solutions and none have worked, I had the FPS limiter method working for some time but it went back to the stutter and audio screeching.

Specs:

Intel i5 3570K
Asus Z77 Sabertooth
Nvidea GTX 670 (Asus DCU2)
32gb ram
Windows 7 Ultimate
Corsair AX850

I cant seem to figure out what could be the problem.
I've ran CPU benchs using Prime95 and HeavyLoad and at 100% CPU Temps cap at about 78-82c on Stock air.
All Drivers at up to date.
It cant be CPU related.

I'm sure this has to do with the GPU because I cant even finish a Furmark test without intense lag to the point where I need to reboot because after waiting to exit the test the PC lags for a few seconds, but it feels almost like its only video thats lagging...not 100% sure about that claim. Ran furmark about 3 times before I was sure it was the GPU and I really didnt want to do any more Burn-in tests if they became bad for the GPU.
On all runs, reaching 60c is when the freezes and lag would occur.
Running games and exceeding 60c, if I dont exit the game, Nvidea crashes with a dialog box saying Error 7 and that OpenGL had stopped working. and it resets Win 7's Aero to Classic skin then back to aero.

This is a fairly new card only got it in October, back when I got it, I was having the same problems, but I was able to remedy it by limiting frames to my 60hz monitor (60fps).

Before this post I was gaming with my Logitect G13 and Afterburner enabled( adds lcd panel info to the G13) and while playing Divinity 2, I noticed that around 60c the Power usage of the GPu spiked to 105%-400%!!! before drivers crashed, is this even normal!?

Could it be PSU related?

Further googling on my PSU (after reading things about faulty PSUs) I came acrossThis Review of the Corsair Ax850 on techpowerup It states "Since AX850 uses DC-DC converters to generate the minor rails, it can output almost all of its capacity on the single +12V rail."
Does this in anyway translate to "You dont need to plug two of the 12V connectors to you GPU" ?? because I have both slots connected as said in the manual.

Would anyone know what's going on, is my gtx670 becoming defective? stuttering crashes at only 60c is...weird. I was a laptop owner before my First Rig, and temps of 105-115c at full load were "normal" on my GTX 260M

GPU-Z + OCCT, look at the middle of the txt file...!!
http://www.speedyshare.com/z2erp/GPU-Z-Sensor-Log.txt

More about : asus gtx 670 acting overheating 60c

Best solution

January 26, 2013 10:32:44 AM

Clean system . reinsert gpu in other x16 slot.
January 26, 2013 5:07:21 PM

The worst part is this problem is about 1-2 days old.
and about 4 days ago I ordered a second 670 to get SLI going.... bad move? Card wont arrive till tuesday but...this is just unlucky.
Score
February 2, 2013 6:08:08 AM

Best answer selected by HyeVltg3.
Score
Related resources
!