pixel response vs. refresh

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
I would like to see Halflife 2 on a 30" widescreen lcd when it comes out (i think it will be in widesreen). What keeps me from buying one? - ghosting of course.
So i was figuring: The PIXEL RESPONSE problem in lcd's is caused by the pixels not keeping up with the refresh rate (usually 70 or above). Why not lower the refresh rate ?. This would be a problem with a c.r.t, but i read lcd's are not supposed to flicker. The only problem i see with this is that animations start to look noticeably choppy below 20hz. But at 30hz (what movies are shown in): that only requires a (1/30 =) 33ms pixel response time. So my question is, why do lcd's need such a high refresh rate?

thanyou

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Although LCDs do have a refresh rate, they do not "refresh" the way that CRT's do. LCD's pixels display a constant color/image until it receives information to change that image to something different. The problem with response comes from that change. With today's technology, pixels are unable to change fast enough to prevent ghosting from a quick flick of the wrist or a fast animation. Changing the refresh rate cannot do anything to make up for an inherent flaw in the current technology.

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
oh, your saying the time interval doesnt matter since pixels stay on. even at 30 hz you'll still get ghosting....what was i thinking? took me a while to figure that one out. thx.