How badly is my cpu bottlenecking my gpu?

DafLapin

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
I'm running a Q8400 2.66 with a GTX 680 FTW(A impulse buy). How bad is the bottlenecking?

I'm running my games with 6gb ddr2 ,1680x1050 monitor and a 650 PSU. I played some BF3 multiplayer last night and was averaging 35 fps on high. Skyrim seems to dip big time in towns and I'm still having problems with Borderlands 2 Physx on high.

I'm not trying to overclocking my cpu seeing I just want to get a new MB, Ram, and CPU. But how badly is my current cpu bottlenecking my GTX 680?

Kari

Splendid
at that resolution it is probably very bad indeed...
you could monitor the GPU load percentage while gaming, GPU-Z will show it and can log it as well
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
if it isnt at the high 90s then there is bottlenecking going on (or vsync limiting the fps at 60fps)

DafLapin

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the answers.

I do monitor my gpu with evga precision. And the only game that came close to 100% usage was Metro 2033.
I got to tell you, the GTX 680 is a great incentive to buy new parts for my computer

Kari

Splendid

yeah, metro 2033 can be really hard on the gpu, so no surprise there :wahoo:
and it should be, it is pretty much as good as it gets on the gpu front these days (though the next gen is coming out before summer :sol: )