Sign in with
Your question

Is my graphics card fried?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2013 2:47:59 PM

Hello Everyone, I need some advice on whether or not you think my video card is completely done for.

About a week ago I was playing League of Legends (been playing on same machine for a year) without any trouble at all, things didnt seem to be working to hard, everything was smooth and then bam, computer shuts off. It was late so I went to bed thinking It just needed a break. Woke up the next morning and the only response I get from the computer is a half turn from all fans and monitor lights flicker on. I come to the conclusion it's a bad PSU (considering I haven't replaced anything since I built my system in 2010). Order a new one, Same thing happens.

I started rewiring in piece by piece to see what was going wrong. I figured out that everything runs(but not boots) when only one port on the video card is plugged in. My video card has two PCI-e cable ports and the cords themselves have two extensions on each end. When you plug in just one or none at all, the computer runs, including the video card, but no display obviously.

I want to believe it isn't done for, considering both fans kick on just fine. If you need specs let me know, I also can post some pictures if need be. I've always been bad with specs including my own.
Thank you in advance.

I'll mention my new and old PSU is 585W so it shouldn't be a problem.
Also have the Twin Frozr II graphics card.

More about : graphics card fried

a c 197 U Graphics card
January 26, 2013 4:06:25 PM

Detailed specs are required, please.
Exactly which PSU is it? If you have to use molex/PCI-E adaptors to get the card running it sounds like you just got a cheap and nasty replacement which cannot run the system.
m
l
January 26, 2013 5:46:01 PM

coozie7 said:
Detailed specs are required, please.
Exactly which PSU is it? If you have to use molex/PCI-E adaptors to get the card running it sounds like you just got a cheap and nasty replacement which cannot run the system.

The new PSU is a hec HP585D 585W ATX12V.

but the funny thing is, I plugged in my old PSU to see if I could get it to kick the system back on and it did. My old PSU isn't dead at all, the molex adapter port is shorting out the whole system.

Do you mean those two molex adapters dont both need to be plugged in?

Thanks for the reply
m
l
Related resources
a c 197 U Graphics card
January 26, 2013 6:44:20 PM

They need to be plugged in, otherwise the graphics card will not get the power it needs.
Molex connectors were designed to power hard drives and optical drives, they're not intended to deliver high power to graphic cards.
I'll suggest you get a good powersupply, one with enough PCI-E connectors to feed your graphics card rather than useing converters.
m
l
January 26, 2013 6:51:02 PM

Well, did you try powering up without the video card in?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2013 6:57:51 PM

Good power supply companies are Seasonic, Corsair , XFX, Antec, to name a few. Look for one of those to specifically have the right and enough connectors for your graphics card.
m
l
January 26, 2013 7:56:17 PM

coozie7 said:
They need to be plugged in, otherwise the graphics card will not get the power it needs.
Molex connectors were designed to power hard drives and optical drives, they're not intended to deliver high power to graphic cards.
I'll suggest you get a good powersupply, one with enough PCI-E connectors to feed your graphics card rather than useing converters.

Hmmm, i didn't know they were used for converting. I'm still confused though, should I look for a power supply with two PCI-E connectors? considering mine only has one.
m
l
January 26, 2013 7:57:17 PM

robthatguyx said:
Well, did you try powering up without the video card in?

Yup, and it works. All fans, processor, drives, and lights.
m
l
January 26, 2013 8:05:52 PM

coozie7 said:

And out of curiosity, why do you think it just decided to kick the can after three years of it being hooked up that way?
m
l
January 26, 2013 8:16:55 PM

My bet is on the videocard and not the power supply, but there is a possibility its the powersupply. One way or another you should invest in a seasonic or seasonic made powersupply.
m
l
January 26, 2013 9:12:43 PM

does the video card smell acrid/burnt by any chance?
m
l
!