"soundblaster mp3" line-in not working with spdif out

Tags:
Last response: in Home Audio
July 4, 2004 4:21:25 PM

For some reason, I can't use the analog line input while i'm using the spdif
output. Anyone know if this can be done with this unit? If so, what am I
doing wrong?

--
Mark
remove "remove" and "spam" to reply

In article <OYOdneq4G7cds3XdRVn-ug@giganews.com>,
zarellam@twcnyremove.rr.comspam says...

>For some reason, I can't use the analog line input while i'm using the spdif
>output. Anyone know if this can be done with this unit? If so, what am I
>doing wrong?
>
>--
>Mark
>remove "remove" and "spam" to reply

You have a digital out signal going to an analogue input.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 4:31:33 AM

> >For some reason, I can't use the analog line input while i'm using the
spdif
> >output. Anyone know if this can be done with this unit? If so, what am
> >doing wrong?
> >
> >--
> >Mark
> >remove "remove" and "spam" to reply
> >

> You have a digital out signal going to an analogue input.

No. I meant that the soundblaster unit, which is providing a digital output
to the audio system, appears to be unable to perform the a to d conversion
necessary to take an analog input into the soundblaster "line input" jack
and output it to the audio system. I can't imagine they'd do this, so I
suspect I'm doing something wrong.

Interestingly, the software that runs the analog device (a D-Link USB FM
radio) providing the input to the soundblaster unit comes with its own
software, of course. And the level meters on the software are showing that
the soundblaster input is indeed working. If I unplug the input to the
soundblaster, the level meters go to zero. Also, if I use the analog output
of the soundblaster, the USB radio plays through the speakers. The problem
is getting the USB radio to work WITH the digital output. I've played with
the volume controls and inputs, etc, but to no avail.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 4:31:34 AM

I don't know about yours, but my SBI 128 is configurable via software. The
line input jack can be configured as an SPDIF output instead. The should
have used the mic input instead.

Mark Z.

"MZ" <zarellam@twcnyremove.rr.comspam> wrote in message
> > >For some reason, I can't use the analog line input while i'm using the
> spdif
> > >output. Anyone know if this can be done with this unit? If so, what
am
> > >doing wrong?
> > >
> > >--
> > >Mark
> > >remove "remove" and "spam" to reply
> > >

> > You have a digital out signal going to an analogue input.
>
> No. I meant that the soundblaster unit, which is providing a digital
output
> to the audio system, appears to be unable to perform the a to d conversion
> necessary to take an analog input into the soundblaster "line input" jack
> and output it to the audio system. I can't imagine they'd do this, so I
> suspect I'm doing something wrong.
>
> Interestingly, the software that runs the analog device (a D-Link USB FM
> radio) providing the input to the soundblaster unit comes with its own
> software, of course. And the level meters on the software are showing
that
> the soundblaster input is indeed working. If I unplug the input to the
> soundblaster, the level meters go to zero. Also, if I use the analog
output
> of the soundblaster, the USB radio plays through the speakers. The
problem
> is getting the USB radio to work WITH the digital output. I've played
with
> the volume controls and inputs, etc, but to no avail.

Anonymous
July 5, 2004 7:57:06 AM

MZ wrote:

>>>For some reason, I can't use the analog line input while i'm using the
>
> spdif
>
>>>output. Anyone know if this can be done with this unit? If so, what am

>>>doing wrong?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Mark
>>>remove "remove" and "spam" to reply
>>>

>>You have a digital out signal going to an analogue input.
>

> No. I meant that the soundblaster unit, which is providing a digital output
> to the audio system, appears to be unable to perform the a to d conversion
> necessary to take an analog input into the soundblaster "line input" jack
> and output it to the audio system. I can't imagine they'd do this, so I
> suspect I'm doing something wrong.
>
> Interestingly, the software that runs the analog device (a D-Link USB FM
> radio) providing the input to the soundblaster unit comes with its own
> software, of course. And the level meters on the software are showing that
> the soundblaster input is indeed working. If I unplug the input to the
> soundblaster, the level meters go to zero. Also, if I use the analog output
> of the soundblaster, the USB radio plays through the speakers. The problem
> is getting the USB radio to work WITH the digital output. I've played with
> the volume controls and inputs, etc, but to no avail.

In my Creative Live Drive IR, Surround Mixer, there is a small red +
right above the Master Volume slider. When I click it, it brings up a
box to select "Digital Output Only". My speakers are analog, and when I
check that setting box, it kills my speakers. I don't have any way of
checking my digital output, but I think it probably is coming out the
digital and optical outputs. As far as the two separate inputs, the
mixer should be able to handle both inputs, if selected and not muted in
the mixer. I have two CD-Rom drives and one plays via digital input and
one plays via analog input, and both of them can play at the same time,
and be heard in the speakers. See if your mixer has similar settings
that you can check to make everything come out the digital ports. Good luck.

--
Art Jackson W4TOY Owensboro, KY USA
Life is God's open book test. In order to pass,