Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Win 7 Xp mode \

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
March 20, 2012 2:25:45 AM

I've been trying to print from the Windows 7XP Mode, with no success. How do I set up the Win7 XP Mode so I can print from it. I have a Laserjet 1320 printer. It prints fine from Windows 7.

More about : win mode

a c 228 $ Windows 7
March 20, 2012 10:55:43 AM

Sam Davis said:
I've been trying to print from the Windows 7XP Mode, with no success. How do I set up the Win7 XP Mode so I can print from it. I have a Laserjet 1320 printer. It prints fine from Windows 7.


Did you install the printer driver within the XP VM?
m
0
l
Related resources
March 20, 2012 2:37:07 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Did you install the printer driver within the XP VM?

Yes I did.
I'm using Win 7 Professional.
The XPMode works well, just can't print.
m
0
l
a c 228 $ Windows 7
March 20, 2012 3:44:54 PM

I haven't used microsoft's virtual pc (use virtualbox), but I believe that during setup, you can specify which devices you want available to the VM. Make sure USB is set to be available to the VM unless of course it an older printer, then make sure the LPT ports are available to the VM. Other than that, I'm not sure as i don't know virtual pc well enough.
m
0
l
March 20, 2012 4:43:23 PM

Thanks for your response, but it is more complicated than that. I'm using the USB port and setting up sharing with the Windows 7 program. The printer works fine for Windows 7. And, I can "print" a PDF output in the Win7 XP Mode. The XP mode works fine until I try to go directly to a printer from a program like Word. I have Win7 Professional and have the XP version of the print driver for my LaserJet 1320 in the XP Mode .
m
0
l
a c 228 $ Windows 7
March 20, 2012 5:48:40 PM

So, when in XP, when you click start/printers and faxes, does it show the printer as ready, offline, not availaible,... ? When you print direct from word, do you see the job in the print queue? Also, if you right-click the printer and select properties, then click the "print test page" button, does that work? if you can't get the test page to work, then none of the XP programs will be able to print.
m
0
l
March 20, 2012 7:05:23 PM

The printer shows that it is ready and offline and shared. When I print from Word at the bottom it is that the page has been completed. It will not print a test page. However, it will print a PDF. And, you're right none of the XP programs will print.

For some reason it seems to me that nothing goes to the printer via the USB port, or whatever goes out is not correct or is not in the right format.
m
0
l
a c 228 $ Windows 7
March 21, 2012 10:47:53 AM

As long as the printer shows offline, it won't print. If this is one of those printers that turns itself on when you send it a print job and then goes back to sleep after 5 minutes or so, then the VM may see it as offline like it's doing. Is there a button on the printer that takes it out of sleep mode or a setting that can disable sleep mode on the printer? If there is, try bringing the printer out of sleep mode and see if it registers as "ready" instead of offline. You should then be able to print.
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 1:25:54 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
As long as the printer shows offline, it won't print. If this is one of those printers that turns itself on when you send it a print job and then goes back to sleep after 5 minutes or so, then the VM may see it as offline like it's doing. Is there a button on the printer that takes it out of sleep mode or a setting that can disable sleep mode on the printer? If there is, try bringing the printer out of sleep mode and see if it registers as "ready" instead of offline. You should then be able to print.



Hawkeye:

Thanks again for your response. However, the printer shows that it is ready.
I've come to the conclusion that the problem is with the USB port that won't
accept the printer data when it's in the XP mode. I'm still working on a solution.
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 5:53:22 PM

I finally figured out the oblem with printing in the Win 7 XP Mode. You can only print either from Win 7 or the XP mode using the USB port. To print in the XP mode you have to click on USB in the XP Mode and "RELEASE" the printer, in this mode you cannot print in the Win 7 mode. If you click on the USB and it says "SHARE" the printer you can prnt in the Win 7 mode, but not the XP Mode. This implies that the printer only uses the USB port. That is, printer can only print one mode or the other when you use a USB connection. I'm guessing that if the computer has a parallel port and the USB port and the printer has the same capability, you'll be able to print in either mode, after you set it up that way. That way you wouldn't have to switch back and forth.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 228 $ Windows 7
March 21, 2012 6:35:40 PM

Excellent! That's good to know.
Share
March 28, 2012 2:38:58 PM

Best answer selected by Sam Davis.
m
0
l
!