Closed Solved

660 GTX vs 7850 HD

Hey guys, I know that you read many articles of this comparisons but non of them gave me the ability to decide.

I want the card that performs better in gaming (higher FPS) on a (1920x1080) monitor.

And I want an answer considering that I'm going to overclock the card. That means 660 GTX OC vs 7850 HD OC

Thanks!
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 7850
  1. The 7850 is probably going to overclock better than the 660. But the 660 is slighty stronger than the 7850 before overclocking.
  2. GTX 660 is the faster GPU, with performance close to the Radeon 7870.

    Radeon 7850 overclocks better, but still won't surpass the GTX 660 I believe.

    I would like to show you some benchmarks, but most are outdated (using older drivers) so it'll be hard to find any.
  3. The 7850 OC can surpass a 7870 (true story)
    660 is stronger stock
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2239216

    The review that has the relatively most up to date drivers (still nov/dec ones though)

    http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/
  4. If they cost the same, you should go for the GTX 660. Otherwsie get the 7850 because it OC's better as others have pointed out.
  5. lostgamer_03 said:
    GTX 660 is the faster GPU, with performance close to the Radeon 7870.

    Radeon 7850 overclocks better, but still won't surpass the GTX 660 I believe.

    I would like to show you some benchmarks, but most are outdated (using older drivers) so it'll be hard to find any.

    The 7850 can easily get past a 660. The 660 really isn't much stronger. it can usually get past a 7870 I think.
  6. lt_dan_zsu said:
    The 7850 can easily get past a 660. The 660 really isn't much stronger. it can usually get past a 7870 I think.


    I take it that you mean the 660 is not much stronger than the 7850. The 7850 can OC past a 660 easily and usually past a 7870.
  7. Yeah, I phrased that poorly.
  8. stickmansam said:
    I take it that you mean the 660 is not much stronger than the 7850. The 7850 can OC past a 660 easily and usually past a 7870.


    GTX 660 can get overclocked as well, close to GTX 660 ti performance. So I don't know where you're going with that? :)
  9. 7850 can go from 860mhz stock to up to 1200mhz+

    the 660 is already clocked at 980mhz but generally can't clock as high as 1200mhz

    So you can see that the 7850 has more room to improve performance via overclocking

    both use the TSMC 28nm process so clock similar but amd arch allows generally higher clocks
  10. stickmansam said:
    7850 can go from 860mhz stock to up to 1200mhz+

    the 660 is already clocked at 980mhz but generally can't clock as high as 1200mhz

    So you can see that the 7850 has more room to improve performance via overclocking

    both use the TSMC 28nm process so clock similar but amd arch allows generally higher clocks


    That still doesn't mean it's faster. 40% overclock doesn't mean 40% more performance.
  11. The 7850 could likely get past a fully oced 660 though.
  12. Best answer
    lostgamer_03 said:
    That still doesn't mean it's faster. 40% overclock doesn't mean 40% more performance.


    At least in BF3 there is decent scaling in performance 18% OC = 18% FPS boost

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_7850_Power_Edition/31.html



    And overall a 10-11% OC has perf boost of 7.5%

  13. That benchmark is a bit old since then AMD has improved dramatically with the newer drivers in BF3. If you don't overclock I would say stick with the best GPU of the two the stronger of the two is the GTX660.
  14. bigshootr8 said:
    That benchmark is a bit old since then AMD has improved dramatically with the newer drivers in BF3. If you don't overclock I would say stick with the best GPU of the two the stronger of the two is the GTX660.


    benchmarks are there to prove that OCing does scale pretty decently for the card

    I agree that stock the 660 is better though
  15. Oh of course, because of the rules that NVIDIA has placed on card manufactures it is a bit over a landslide when it comes to overclocking though with the AMD cards being able to overclock a bit more.
  16. gtx 660 with better drivers= More performance
    Amd Hd7850 more raw performance thru overclocking Average drivers= Same performance as gtx 660

    Both will perform equal maybe 2-3% in case game more optimised for one manfacturer.

    get one which is cheaper as earlier stated in the forum
  17. Best answer selected by M7ammad.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx HD Graphics