Sign in with
Your question

ASrock z77 Extreme 4 not recognizing MSI GTX 660ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2013 9:44:38 PM

Hello,
I can not get my mobo to recognize any video cards in either slot. I have the two power cords connected to adapter plugs to my OCZ 750 watt power supply. Cards turn on spin and light up but when i go into bios it does not recognize anything in either slot.

I have tried to pick up a second GTX660ti to test and it does not recognize that card either. I have tried plugging directly into the HDMI and DVI to vga and no video at all. When i use the onboard VGA or hdmi i can not see the card in my display adapters. I have tried to use the CD that came with the card but it stops me with the error that no harware can be detected. HELP please.

Windows 7
Intel i5 2500k CPU @ 3.30GHz
ASrock z77 Extreme 4
MSI GTX 660ti
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2013 11:33:57 PM

did you disable the onboard gpu and configure the bios to initialize the pcie (sometimes abbreviated as PEG for Pci E Graphics) GPU first?
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 26, 2013 11:46:31 PM

what do you mean the bios doesn't recognise the card? I don't think the bios tells you that info, go into windows and see if its there. plus you shouldn't be using the onboard vga or hdmi, plug your monitor into the gtx660. with that board you shouldn't even need to go into bios, just plug the card into the slot, plug your monitor into the card, go to windows and install drivers. don't go into bios.
Related resources
January 27, 2013 1:32:52 AM

ive seen this with some new MOBO's update the BOIS firmware, and make sure onboard GPX is disabled. it shouldnt be conflicted. but just to be sure turn it off. if that doesnt work reset BOIS and make sure your VGA or DVI cable is plugged into your GFX card. and make sure you have it inserted into the right PCI-E slot if it doesnt work regaurdless TRY THE OTHER PCI-E slot ive seen it work... its weird i know
January 27, 2013 6:37:36 PM

I went into the bios and selected pci express slot as the primary gpu.
My bios has a system browser option that shows you a graphical representation of the mother board and all slots it shows me my ram cards, NIC, and other things but it shows the PCI Express 3 slot as empty.
When I try to boot with the DVI or HDMI from monitor to the card absolutely nothing comes up I have black screen for 10 minutes restart after restart.
Then I try to move the HDMI cable to the on board hdmi and go into windows and my card is not in my graphics adapters list.
When i try to install drivers it says it can not find any hardware.
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2013 7:24:45 PM

in your bios i beleive theres an option to select the pciex16 slots configuration and if you have it set to x16 mode then slot3 is disabled (defaults to 0 lanes. LOL). I'll pull up your manual in a bit and check but off the top of my head I think thats it. You'll have to use slot 1 or 4 if I remember right.
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 28, 2013 6:55:08 AM

well i have the exact same motherboard and similar gpu, and i didnt have to do a thing in BIOS to ge anything to work. I'd say you got a faulty card. I the extra pcie power connector plugged into the card?
!