the1corrupted

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
So I'm at a crossroad, a bit. I want a 660 ti but I feel like nVidia's pricetag of almost $300 (US) is feeling a little sore for just a 192-bit bus feels like I'm taking a big step down for my money over, say, a 7950 or even a 7870. I recently purchased a 7870 (HIS) but it was sharding graphics left and right. Full frame texture artifacts in World of Tanks, in Far Cry 3, people would be 'vibrating' in place as if possessed by some terrible demon. One NPC couldn't pick her nose without flickering back and forth (about 1-2 feet in game render terms, or about an inch back and forth across the screen). I'm tempted to give AMD another shot with an ASUS 7870 (the HIS went to some guy in Argentina), but I'm concerned it wasn't hardware at all (because the aforementioned card stress tested beautifully and scored close to 30000 in 3D Mark Pro), but entirely driver-related...

On the other hand, the next gen cards are supposedly just around the next bend... But it leaves me with Intel HD 4000 eating 1GB of RAM and showing just a few games at the absolute worst settings ever.

I feel like I'm in a canoe with one paddle, trying to go forward, but wind up going in circles...

the1corrupted

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I'm considering setting aside the capital for a GTX 670, but if/when I do, I imagine the GTX 700 series might be out then, so the whole "when to buy" comes to mind because nVidia didn't set a launch date. Could be next month, could be middle of March. I want my pretty graphics back, but I don't want to fork out capital now for a product that will see a price cut in possibly 90 days or less... I'm dizzy from the amount of reading I've covered on the subject. Any ideas on when nVidia decides to announce their launch? Or is it some unknown but predetermined date?

Sumukh_Bhagat

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
AMD will Release all their Stuff till the End of Q2.
And Nvidia will Start releasing their Stuff in Q3.

So wait for those Cards.
As very few Good Games are releasing till that Time. Like Crysis 3. (Don't mind if I missed any other Game, I only play Selected Games :lol: )

the1corrupted

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Alright, I guess my Far Cry 3 will sit in the corner, to be neglected for a while (and maybe cry a little). I dare not attempt the game without absolute beautiful settings. The sun shining down, the waves lapping on the shores.. And the way the knife looks stabbed through the heart of a pirate.

Maybe I'm stressing too much over the next $300 or so that's going into my computer box :lol:

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Q3 for nvidia yea right..By that time the 760ti 760 and lower would be releasing ..Around march or april sounds reasonable and perfect timing with crysis 3 coming out

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
dont be turned off by the price tag on the 660ti, it is well worth it, and can pull its own against the high end AMD cards. so far with most experiences with my friends that own the card they can overclock it quite easily enough to reach and surpass the 670 in both benchmark environments and in game FPS.

i personally am a AMD fanboy so my choice is usually always their video cards, but when i do end up switching to intel in my next major build ill probably jump ship to nvidia as well to switch things up

ubad00d

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
These threads are basically pretty useless until a proper reply comes in that is not biased in any way. You can't just recommend a card on the basis that it's 'better' you need to at least give OP an explanation and then say why it is better than the other card or where the card downfalls.

It seems you've been swayed into Nvidia by chance because two people recommending Nvidia haev happened to reply first. If two people recommend AMD had replied first I'm guessing you'd have been swayed by AMD. Just remember that when you're making your final choice. I say this because these cards cost a bit of money.

colaturka

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

+1

abbadon_34

Distinguished
At this point, January 2013, it seems AMD have the edge is price/performance video card wise, at least with 7xxx. With the current drivers and overclocking the puts Nvidia to shame, not to mention most AAA games are AMD "Gaming Evolved" titles. How they pulled that one I don't know, but the benches show it's not just a bribe but a real advantage.

I've swapped back and forth between Geforce and Ati over the years, it's just matter of whats the best card given MY budget at THE time. There's no "correct" time to buy, except maybe when you want/need/afford it. Everyone does it differently, some whenever a better card comes out, others when a new generation comes out, some when their "friends" upgrade, others when they get tired of playing on low settings, etc.

I have this exact same issue and I also have a 7870. Have no other issues with the card (if its even the cards fault). From what I can tell online its something to do with the V-Sync, which I always noticed is fairly broken, often capping to 30FPS for no reason.

I personally think the 7950 is a better option. While the smaller memory bus on the 660Ti isn't much on an issue now at 1080p, who knows how future games will develop or even what your own rig will be like.
Plus, its a better overclocker and at stock clocks outperforms the 660Ti anyway.

the1corrupted

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

The only reason I'm leaning toward nVidia at this point is I had a very good experience with a GTX 460 that I OC'ed to hell and back until I decided to upgrade. I didn't have any of the errors (even with the OC beyond the card's limits) that I saw with the ATI/AMD card at stock.

I took a look at the 7950, and the Asus card is a MASSIVE triple slot card with a 384-bit bus. I mean, the card itself sounds absolutely beastly on paper, but I wonder if I will get the same problems from it that I had on my 7870. Benchmarks don't mean squat if the card/drivers aren't rendering frames correctly.

Another thing: I'm only considering Asus cards for one simple fact; they stop working, I swap at work. So anyone knows if Asus makes better nVidia cards vs AMD/ATI?

Yea, ASUS have a habit of making triple slot cards. Have a look at the Sapphire, Gigabyte and MSI models, they perform just as well and don't take up as much room.

Dunno, could be entirely coincidence that we both have the same problem and both have 7870's. My suggestion is to go online and research the problem and see if theres a fix. Because NPC's vibrating seems an oddly specific glitch to me, if the card were failing in some way I would expect something more along the lines of visual artifacts (lines across the screen, static) or complete failure to run the game.
I would put it down to the game being broken rather than the card.

the1corrupted

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

Well that's the other side of the coin. My AMD card gave me graphical errors in the only TWO games I was playing at the time. Modern Warfare 3 Singleplayer seemed to render fine, but I don't want a GPU that benchmarks well with Far Cry 3 (which was supposedly developed to work with AMD cards)

I know "price per performance" AMD wins out. I'm not questioning the 7950 not being a good buy, but I'm wondering if the AMD drivers were the culprit? They made a new release that evened out the frame draw time to look like an nVidia card. Think that helps?

Opaz1ka

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012

FC3 is a gaming evolved title, it is optimised for AMD cards, therefore the 7870 or if you are waiting the 8850/8870 would work best

Sumukh_Bhagat

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

What?
I don't see any AMD Logo when I open Far Cry3.

All gaming Evolved Titles have a Logo in the start.

And also check the Benchmarks I listed above.
GTX series dominate FC3