Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Dual-X OC 3GB driver issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 27, 2013 6:16:59 AM

So, I just built my new pc about 2 weeks ago and for a week it was running great with no issues. Then I upgraded to catalyst 13.1 and rebooted my pc only to find that it freezes at the windows splash screen after POST. It simply freezes, doesn't restart or try to do anything else. I tried rolling back drivers to 12.11 and 12.10 and the issue persisted. Right now I am currently running the version that shipped with the card (12.8) and everything is running great, but I'd still like to be able to update my drivers... I've seen a lot of people online with similar problems but no real solutions, so does anyone have any advice?

The rest of the machine is:

Intel i5 3570k @ 3.8GHz
Intel Maple Crest 120GB SSD
Western Digital Black 1TB HDD
Asus Maximus V Formula MoBo
Rosewill Lightning 1000W PSU
G Skill Trident X 16GB 2400MHz RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Dual-X OC 3GB GDDR5
January 27, 2013 6:23:04 AM

did you instal the drivers over the preexisting ones or did you use Atiman Uninstaller/Official AMD Uninstaler utiliy to uninstall the older drivers before instaling the new ones.
m
l
January 27, 2013 1:08:51 PM

Yes I did. Before I realized it was a graphics card issue I even did a reinstall of My OS and went straight to the current version of catalyst! :( 
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2013 1:15:46 PM

iguanish said:
So, I just built my new pc about 2 weeks ago and for a week it was running great with no issues. Then I upgraded to catalyst 13.1 and rebooted my pc only to find that it freezes at the windows splash screen after POST. It simply freezes, doesn't restart or try to do anything else. I tried rolling back drivers to 12.11 and 12.10 and the issue persisted. Right now I am currently running the version that shipped with the card (12.8) and everything is running great, but I'd still like to be able to update my drivers... I've seen a lot of people online with similar problems but no real solutions, so does anyone have any advice?

The rest of the machine is:

Intel i5 3570k @ 3.8GHz
Intel Maple Crest 120GB SSD
Western Digital Black 1TB HDD
Asus Maximus V Formula MoBo
Rosewill Lightning 1000W PSU
G Skill Trident X 16GB 2400MHz RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Dual-X OC 3GB GDDR5

Get rid of the Asus Motherboard.
Put the operating system and apps on the small drive, put your personal files on the large drive.
Set the small drive to boot first.
Never mix your personal files with the operating system drive. Keep it separated.
m
l
January 27, 2013 1:18:18 PM

Is it really a known compatibility issue or are you just not an Asus fan? Because I'm really liking the board.
m
l
January 27, 2013 1:29:38 PM

Sooner or later you will realize, a variety of problems result from using those boards.
m
l
January 27, 2013 3:57:02 PM

Try to do a complete removal of your driver.

Boot into safe mode and then run a driver removal tool such as Driver Sweeper, then re-install 13.1 Catalyst.
m
l
January 27, 2013 4:02:16 PM

id remove ur current drivers.

than use driversweeper to remove traces of ur drivers.

than download the latest drivers. boot in safe mode. than reinstall the latest drivers.

as excella said :D 

m
l
January 27, 2013 4:04:41 PM

my sapphire 7970 dualx oc runs perfectly fine using 13.1 driver. use driver sweeper to remove old driver.
m
l
January 27, 2013 4:16:32 PM

Really bad idea to load "driver sweeper" or any free software into the system.
Windows does not need any "driver sweeper" to run right. Avoid.
These types of "free downloads" will only make problems worse.

Sign in as administrator (If you are not administrator you may be blocked)
Close all the applications that are being used...save and close your files...
Turn Off the antivirus and firewall, turn off the functions of windows defender.
If you have multiple security programs installed, they must be turned ALL off. Security will prevent your driver from installing...
Download the latest CCC driver package, and save it to an easy location. Make sure this is the correct driver for your card.
Delete all the current AMD video software and drivers, restart the system (the video will look screwy, don't worry)
Now load install all the newest CCC drivers and restart the system (the driver will not work (yet) as you said, but load it anyway)
left click start
left click computer
right click C drive
Left click Open
Right click Users
Left click properties
"Check" mark the box that says: Attributes: "Hidden" (there is now a check-mark in the "Hidden" box)
Click: "Apply"
Now the system will apply the hidden attributes...and this will take a while, or maybe a long while. Let this proceed, and don't interrupt it...
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you do not have administrator privilege to the file you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK. Just click: "ignore all."
When this procedure is finished, click OK (the box will close after you click OK)
Now you will once again be looking at folders in C drive (don’t close the C drive window or you may regret it)
(once again) right click Users
(once again) left click properties
UN- check the box that says: Attributes "Hidden" (you will now take the check mark OUT, Hidden is no longer checked)
Click Apply
Now the computer will UN-apply the hidden attributes, and it may take a while, or a long while...but let it proceed, and finish, don't interrupt it.
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you are not the administrator of the file that you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK, just click: "ignore all."
When this is completed click OK
Now close all windows and restart the computer
turn all the security back on.
At this point, the CCC should be functional. Open the CCC and test the functions...
m
l
January 27, 2013 4:20:14 PM

i really say otherwise, ive use driversweeper many times and works great.

alot simpler than ur method and doesnt cause any harm on the system.

m
l
January 27, 2013 4:31:04 PM

I don't see how Driver Sweeper is "really a bad idea". It works quite great with a lot of people even our own fellow members here. I also don't remember any major issues being reported from it.

All it's suppose to do is do a clean sweep of any driver data you want gone. If you're worried it might delete unrelated files, then it's not hard to do a back up.

And yes, the process is simpler.
m
l
January 27, 2013 5:03:51 PM

+1 excella

m
l
January 27, 2013 5:40:26 PM

Driver sweeper cant almost retire as its probably now more safe to use the Official AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility. Anyways, in my opinon, ATIman uninstaller does a better job of aiding the driver sweeping progress than driver sweeper does for AMD based gpus.
m
l
January 27, 2013 7:48:31 PM

Any "free" download from the internet, that promises it will "fix" your computer, is a scam.
It won't fix the problems, it only makes it worse.

Windows needs NOTHING other than windows, to run properly.
Windows does not need to be "managed" by other programs.
Sooner or later, you will need to accept this fact.

A professional, all in one security system...is required. Not a "free" download.
This type of security updates itself all day long. It prevents all un-authorized connections.

You will find, experimentally or otherwise, leave the OS alonea, Ramona.
m
l
January 27, 2013 10:32:04 PM

The software doesn't promise to "fix" anything, all it does is do a complete removal of all traces of a driver you want.

It's not like it's one of those PC optimization, registry cleaning, etc tools.

Though I'll have to agree, the official uninstall tool from AMD is probably the best option.
m
l
January 27, 2013 11:33:33 PM

driversweeper is recommanded by many, so thats a false statement.

m
l
January 28, 2013 2:29:08 AM

Alright so here's an update... I downloaded CCC 13.1 and driver sweeper, rebooted into safe mode, successfully ran driver sweeper, but whenever I try to install CCC 13.1 I get the error "Failed to load detection driver." So again, I am baffled...
m
l
January 28, 2013 2:42:29 AM

hmm, try uninstalling that, and installing another version to see if it fixes that.

m
l
January 28, 2013 3:01:19 AM

Done. Uninstalled the CCC that I had, rebooted, ran driver sweeper, rebooted, and now i've tried 3 different versions and i keep getting "failed to load detection driver."
m
l
January 28, 2013 8:58:11 AM

Okay, let's have a check list to eliminate possibilities one by one.

- Have you downloaded all the latest Windows Updates?
- Do you have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 installed?
- What's your OS? If it's Win 7, do you have SP1 installed?
- .NET Framework 4.0?

Personally, I'm now running the (leaked) Catalyst 13.2 Beta for my PowerColor 7950, and I'm not having problems at all with it. You can try it if you want.
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_2_b...
m
l
January 28, 2013 3:40:42 PM

good list excella.

m
l
February 4, 2013 4:56:25 AM

Sorry about the delay, I've been gone for the week. Yes, excella, I've already done all of those :( 
m
l
February 4, 2013 10:18:05 AM

try removing the videocard and waiting 2 minutes than putting it back in

m
l
March 30, 2013 7:20:00 PM

soundguruman said:
Really bad idea to load "driver sweeper" or any free software into the system.
Windows does not need any "driver sweeper" to run right. Avoid.
These types of "free downloads" will only make problems worse.

Sign in as administrator (If you are not administrator you may be blocked)
Close all the applications that are being used...save and close your files...
Turn Off the antivirus and firewall, turn off the functions of windows defender.
If you have multiple security programs installed, they must be turned ALL off. Security will prevent your driver from installing...
Download the latest CCC driver package, and save it to an easy location. Make sure this is the correct driver for your card.
Delete all the current AMD video software and drivers, restart the system (the video will look screwy, don't worry)
Now load install all the newest CCC drivers and restart the system (the driver will not work (yet) as you said, but load it anyway)
left click start
left click computer
right click C drive
Left click Open
Right click Users
Left click properties
"Check" mark the box that says: Attributes: "Hidden" (there is now a check-mark in the "Hidden" box)
Click: "Apply"
Now the system will apply the hidden attributes...and this will take a while, or maybe a long while. Let this proceed, and don't interrupt it...
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you do not have administrator privilege to the file you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK. Just click: "ignore all."
When this procedure is finished, click OK (the box will close after you click OK)
Now you will once again be looking at folders in C drive (don’t close the C drive window or you may regret it)
(once again) right click Users
(once again) left click properties
UN- check the box that says: Attributes "Hidden" (you will now take the check mark OUT, Hidden is no longer checked)
Click Apply
Now the computer will UN-apply the hidden attributes, and it may take a while, or a long while...but let it proceed, and finish, don't interrupt it.
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you are not the administrator of the file that you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK, just click: "ignore all."
When this is completed click OK
Now close all windows and restart the computer
turn all the security back on.
At this point, the CCC should be functional. Open the CCC and test the functions...

m
l
March 30, 2013 7:29:10 PM

I was not able to run Skyrim or Path of Exile after I installed a Radeon HD 7950 Dual-X card. I pretty much followed the directions by Soundguruman except I down loaded the drivers before turning off the virus protection. Both programs are working like a champ. Thank you.

I was going to download the Driver Sweeper program but Trend Micro Titanium warned me it was on a malicious site. I completely agree with the free software warning from Soundguruman.
m
l
November 8, 2013 5:20:40 PM

soundguruman said:
Any "free" download from the internet, that promises it will "fix" your computer, is a scam.
It won't fix the problems, it only makes it worse.

Windows needs NOTHING other than windows, to run properly.
Windows does not need to be "managed" by other programs.
Sooner or later, you will need to accept this fact.

A professional, all in one security system...is required. Not a "free" download.
This type of security updates itself all day long. It prevents all un-authorized connections.

You will find, experimentally or otherwise, leave the OS alonea, Ramona.

I've been using malwarebytes for years and my pc is as fast as when it was new... I think you have trust issues.
m
l
!