Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphic card warranty question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 27, 2013 6:17:30 AM

Hello folks!

I'm looking at getting a video card. I was advised by some helpful guys the other night that I should probably wait if I can since both Nvidia and AMD will be launching new cards soon. After Googling, it appears they're both second quarter now so I may go ahead and get something. I'm looking at either a GTX 670 or an HD 7970. Not looking to get into either of those really but would I would like to know is.... How about a warranty?

Currently I have a an EVGA GTX 260 which has been an awesome card for almost 4 years. There seem to be a lot of folks with issues with the higher end cards though... I have never had an XFX product, but they have a lifetime warranty for essentially no extra cost. Gigabyte EVGA and Sapphire all seem to be 2-3 years. Anyone got any strong preferences or recommendations?
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2013 6:20:23 AM

Jackkend76 said:
Hello folks!

I'm looking at getting a video card. I was advised by some helpful guys the other night that I should probably wait if I can since both Nvidia and AMD will be launching new cards soon. After Googling, it appears they're both second quarter now so I may go ahead and get something. I'm looking at either a GTX 670 or an HD 7970. Not looking to get into either of those really but would I would like to know is.... How about a warranty?

Currently I have a an EVGA GTX 260 which has been an awesome card for almost 4 years. There seem to be a lot of folks with issues with the higher end cards though... I have never had an XFX product, but they have a lifetime warranty for essentially no extra cost. Gigabyte EVGA and Sapphire all seem to be 2-3 years. Anyone got any strong preferences or recommendations?

Whatever has 3-5 years warranty will be more than fine. A lot of people have bought a newer generation GPU before their warranty has expired.
Score
a c 122 U Graphics card
January 27, 2013 6:24:11 AM

Lifetime warranties arent worth much over 2-3yr warranty IMO. By the time the warranty runs out, you will want to be replacing the card anyway, and no doubt its designed to last much longer than its warranty period.

Get the best card you can afford, with warranty as a secondary concern.
Score
Related resources
January 27, 2013 6:32:08 AM

Any particular advice on brands? Is XFX good? Just because the lifetime warranty sounds great even if I won't need it... Or are they all more or less the same? I noticed PNY and Zotac tend to be cheaper but neither of them seem to have higher clocked cards. At least not on Newegg.
Score
January 27, 2013 6:56:45 AM

XFX is a good brand, had a 6950 by them before, also PNY and Zotac i never really liked their cards, but they have been getting good from what i have seen, i really like gigabyte's video cards.

but personally I normally by EVGA when getting an nvidia and either sapphire or XFX when buying AMD.

lifetime warranty is good if you dont ever plan on upgrading again, so if the cards ever craps out and they dont make them anymore they will replace it with something of equal value and performance.

i personally look at reviews for best card for both heat, noise and overclockability and choose that way then look at warranty later. Personally i like 2-3 years, even if it runs out and the video card kicks the bucket, it just means im forced to upgrade, which is not a bad thing after 2-3 years.
Score

Best solution

a c 122 U Graphics card
January 27, 2013 7:01:57 AM

All the well known brands are good, its just a question of what features you want.
In general, I don't recommend XFX as they use reference-esque cooling and are often voltage locked, and their lifetime warranty isnt a big thing IMO.

Something from Gigabyte, ASUS, Sapphire or MSI is ideal. They are pretty much the top GPU manufacturers out there.
Sapphire is really great if your after a good card for a low cost, though they do have higher end cards (the Vapor-X) that are very nice. ASUS and Gigabtye make up the mid-range, both offering very good cards at a decent price. MSI is also on par with Gigabyte/ASUS with their "normal" cards, but are more well known for their overkill cards in the Hawk and Lightning ranges. These are quite expensive, but you get a very high quality card packed to the brim with extra VRM's for good overclocking and as many features as they could cram in.
January 27, 2013 8:26:08 AM

Best answer selected by Jackkend76.
Score
!