Intermittent data corruption

G

My PC has been running now for two and a half years, more or less to my contend except for one strange feature: data backups, either disk-to-disk or disk-to-CD, nearly never are consistent. This became most evident recently when I added a second hard disk and had to do a lot of data copying. So I collected some investigation tools (file/directory compares, hex browsers/compares) and worked out the symptom details.
For copy actions of large files or directories (100 MB range) there may be a couple of 1-bit errors of the form:
original byte value 'xxxx xx10', copied byte 'xxxx xx00'; address offset almost always X'...A', rarely X'...6' or X'...E'.
Sometimes the compare tools get confused and tell differences (at positions X'...A', value 'xxxx xx10') where the browsers show equality. Therefore it seems to be occasional read errors.
Can anyone help with an explanation and/or a remedy for this most annoying behaviour?

System: Windows 98; MB Asus P2B-F, PentiumIII 450MHz, 128MB SDRAM Non-ECC;
IDE HDD UDMA33, FAT32,(prim. master WD AC310200, prim. slave WD WD400AB);
no tuning of any kind; the hardware diagnosis tool of the disk manufacturer says no hardware problem.

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
try to install the HDDs on two different ide channels with the CD-ROM on the second IDE channel. Then install the last drivers for your mother-board IDE controller. Perform the test using one disk a time. Try to avoid to use the same IDE channel to operate a writing and reading operation at the same time. Check the IDE cable. Probably you will find the old disk with some problems. Did you test the disks with some SMART (ontrak) software to check the health status of your disk ?
I had some similar problems in the past and unfortunately the only solution was to substitute the damaged disk