Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 460, fans are spinning but GPU is not detected.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 27, 2013 11:09:13 AM

I slot the GPU in and plug the cables in, boot up the PC and the fans spin but when I go into device manager the GPU isnt there it only displays my onboard GPU. Could the PCI slot in my motherboard be broken? Is my motherboard compatible with GTX 460?

MOTHERBOARD: MCP73PV
a b U Graphics card
a c 80 V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 8:27:34 PM

contact the GPU manufactuer and ask if their 460 is backwards compatible with pcie version 1.
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 8:50:44 PM

Have you installed the drivers?
Related resources
January 31, 2013 2:05:25 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Have you installed the drivers?


I cant because it tells me it "the graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware"
January 31, 2013 2:20:36 PM

popatim said:
contact the GPU manufactuer and ask if their 460 is backwards compatible with pcie version 1.


I cant find a place to contact them.
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2013 5:12:54 PM

What graphic card do you have from which company I'm sure I can find a means of contact.
January 31, 2013 5:47:29 PM

bigshootr8 said:
What graphic card do you have from which company I'm sure I can find a means of contact.


I have the 768mb version by PNY
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 5:34:14 PM

It should yes. It looks like you have a store bought computer can I get the model number.
February 1, 2013 6:41:06 PM

bigshootr8 said:
It should yes. It looks like you have a store bought computer can I get the model number.


Acer Aspire M3641
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 6:53:03 PM

I would suspect a couple of things. Firstly your power supply. Most CPU's run around 100 watts of power and the max wattage of your graphics card is 160 watts from the wall. With your power supply only amounting to 250 watts maxed I would suspect that. Other things you can try.

1. powering up using onboard video and having your graphic card installed. Then installing the graphic drivers going into device manager disabling your onboard graphics. Reboot, then turn around and go into the bios and change the graphic adapter priority to pci-e save and exit and see if it works.

2. You could also see if you have another full length pci-express 16x slot and give it a try although my feeling tells me its not a full bandwidth 16x slot I can't imagine a store bought motherboard having sli/cf capabilities.





http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...
February 1, 2013 7:03:12 PM

bigshootr8 said:
I would suspect a couple of things. Firstly your power supply. Most CPU's run around 100 watts of power and the max wattage of your graphics card is 160 watts from the wall. With your power supply only amounting to 250 watts maxed I would suspect that. Other things you can try.

1. powering up using onboard video and having your graphic card installed. Then installing the graphic drivers going into device manager disabling your onboard graphics. Reboot, then turn around and go into the bios and change the graphic adapter priority to pci-e save and exit and see if it works.

2. You could also see if you have another full length pci-express 16x slot and give it a try although my feeling tells me its not a full bandwidth 16x slot I can't imagine a store bought motherboard having sli/cf capabilities.





http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...


I upgraded the power supply to a 400w 80+ certified one so that should be fine and even if it wasnt enough wouldnt the graphics card work at first but not under load. Also I cant install the drivers as i said earlier on on this thread and there isnt an option in my bios to switch to onboard video. My motherboard doesnt have another 16x slot unfortunately.
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 7:05:54 PM

It sounds like then your bios may lock you out from a graphic card upgrade. I had a friend of mine who has a acer computer and she bought a graphics card had the same issue and was unable to switch the graphic display priority to pci-express.
February 1, 2013 7:12:22 PM

bigshootr8 said:
It sounds like then your bios may lock you out from a graphic card upgrade. I had a friend of mine who has a acer computer and she bought a graphics card had the same issue and was unable to switch the graphic display priority to pci-express.


But heres someone who managed to upgrade http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/337443-15-please-up...
a c 134 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 7:16:18 PM

I would imagine he either installed it and there was green lights the whole way through or he had to go through and change settings within the bios to prioritize his card.
February 1, 2013 7:20:31 PM

bigshootr8 said:
I would imagine he either installed it and there was green lights the whole way through or he had to go through and change settings within the bios to prioritize his card.


What do you think I should do?
February 6, 2013 2:22:01 PM

I just purchased a 6850 and that isnt detected either should I buy a new motherboard.
!