Solved

HD7850 advise

Hi all,

I'm running a MSI HD6870 graphics card at the moment but it got damaged. I want to replace it but not quite sure what to do. I'm thinking of getting a MSI/Sapphire HD7850 OC card.

1. Do you think I should spend the money and buy that card or wait a few weeks for new cards to come out and drop the price of the 7850?

2. If I buy the HD7850 now, for how long do think will it still be able to play games on very high video settings?

System specs:

MB: MSI 790GX - GD65
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 (3.4GHz)
RAM: 8GB DDR 3 1333MHz
PSU: Corsair GS600
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hd7850 advise
  1. Look on the manufacturer website, and buy a card that is "approved" and tested for that motherboard, specifically.
    This will help you avoid problems. The manufacturer has a LIST of approved video cards, and memory sticks.
  2. For how long do you think will I still be able to play high-end games with the hd7850? Will it be worth it to spend money on this card now or should I wait awhile for the new HD models to come out and then buy a 7870 or better for a lower price.
  3. As far as I know, there's no official announcement as to when the Radeon HD 8xxx series will come out.

You could be waiting an indefinite amount of months, especially since I believe the high-end cards are always the first to be released.
  4. I just hope I can play high graphics games for at least the next 2 years
  5. If your monitor resolution is anything below 1920x1080, you'll be fine for the next 2 years.
  6. Maybe I should go for the HD7870. Do you think I should then also upgrade PSU?
  7. I can promise you that the higher end cards have much better picture quality for:
    Games, graphics, Photos and Video Media.
    It's worth it to get the best card.
  8. Best answer
    Look at the new 7870 Tahiti le, near 7950 performance at 7870 prices. Your psu will be Ok.
  9. Goodeggray said:
    Look at the new 7870 Tahiti le, near 7950 performance at 7870 prices. Your psu will be Ok.

+1
  10. I've ordered my HD7870.

Thanks a lot for the advise!
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics Cards Graphics Product MSI-Microstar