Wanting To Get a New Router For Gaming.

SMOR3S

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I am wanting to get a new router for gaming, because the one I have is really bad in my opinion.. I got this one at the time I bought it cause I needed one really fast.

Setup:

Time Warner Cable 30Mbps Down 1Mbps Up (In speed test I get this):

Killer 2100 Network Card (Latest FirmWare)
TCP Optimizer
System Mechanic Pro Network Optimizer

*I don't know if the TCP and System mechanic did anything or not to my network stacks/registry but that could be a possibility*

Time Warner Cable Modem
WGR614v10 Router:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122016

http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/12594

CAT5E and CAT 6 Cables... Would having two types in the same connection make the connection weird?

I just want to really make my connection overall sufficient for gaming.. I don't want to worry about lag coming from client side at all. I am looking to spend about $300 max on new hardware, so link away and let me know what you guys think.

*ISSUES*

1. I lose connection a lot, and I doubt it's on Time Warner's end cause I have called them multiple times about this..
2. I have to power cycle a lot with this router.
3. The Time Warner Cable people came out and put in new cable lines and connectors, so I doubt it's the cable lines.
4. No I don't suck at gaming, I am a pro E-sports athlete so I am very good :) I am just concerned about client side network lag, cause even on perfect registration servers from Eoreality that have a dedicated server boxes, I still get updated a lot... I have times where I shoot and I get the kill, and other where I know I should have gotten them

Thanks,

Kevin

RealBeast

Titan
Mixing CAT5e and CAT6 cables is not an issue, and if it doesn't occur often the cables are probably fine, but you might test them by running LAN Speed Test on your internal network to look for any potential bottlenecks.

Instead of speedtest, since your connection clearly has adequate speed, I would run pingtest.net periodically to see if your latency is periodically an issue and whether you have a packet loss problem. If you are playing and your responsiveness decreases run pingtest then and compare it to the baseline values.

While it could be your router, I've had a number over the years just start slowly causing issues, do not assume that your ISP is not the issue, especially if the problem you have occurs during particular times when their users in your area would be most active -- that can increase your latency but usually occurs in a fairly regular pattern and isn't random.

Take a look here to compare routers on various tasks: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/view

While it may or may not be an issue, your ISP will never tell you that they have too many subscribers online at peak use times watching netflix and eating too much bandwidth, which can slow the network. They will only test the network, usually during weekdays that would just happen to coincide with lower use times since everyone is at work or school.

TRENDING THREADS