Sign in with
Your question

GTX 670 PSU Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 27, 2013 5:46:03 PM

Hello all,

I bought an EVGA GTX 670 2g last night as upgrade from my 550ti, and when I tried to load Guild Wars 2 and Black Ops 2 (Separately, of course) the entire PC shutdown after about 5 second of gameplay, every time. The Fans started spinning very quickly, and loudly, when this happened. I am at work right now, so I don't have my exact system specs available, but I am running the gtx 670, a 500W PSU (18a on the +12v rail, 18a on the -12v rail - not sure if the -12v rail matters?) The card requires "Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 30 Amps.)" The EVGA site says that my 550ti requires 24a on the +12v line, but it only has 18a on the +12 (again, not sure if the -12v rail is relevant to GPU) and seems to work without error. Motherboard and Processor are both brand new and high end for gaming. 8gb of DDR5 Ram etc. My GTX 550ti runs the games fine when I put it back in. I think it's my PSU? My buddy has a 600W corsair PSU, also brand new, and it shutdown using his PSU also... I'm not sure what to do. Sorry, I don't have more specific specs available at the moment.

More about : gtx 670 psu question

January 27, 2013 5:54:21 PM

note: Drivers were all updated, old drivers were deleted etc. The shutdown happens like clockwork when loading a game, but browsing the web etc. is all fine.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2013 5:55:59 PM

Didja install the new drivers after uninstalling the old ones in safe mode?

Whoop, ninja'ed.
I would then suspect the PSU of not delivering as rated, but the fact that the corsair PSU does the same thing seems to imply that it might be a graphics card error. Do you have another computer you can try it in?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2013 5:58:11 PM

I'm running a 670 on 500w, its more than enough. Try the card in your freinds system if possible, if the same thing happens then you know the card is at fault.

Also try downloading a program like MSI Afterburner and monitoring the temperatures. Fans maxing out after the system shutting down is a sign of overheating.
m
l
January 27, 2013 6:01:12 PM

That was going to be my next step. I am trying to see if he can install the card in his machine. I will report back after this has been done. Thanks!
m
l
January 27, 2013 6:09:45 PM

DarkSable said:
Didja install the new drivers after uninstalling the old ones in safe mode?

Whoop, ninja'ed.
I would then suspect the PSU of not delivering as rated, but the fact that the corsair PSU does the same thing seems to imply that it might be a graphics card error. Do you have another computer you can try it in?

No, I used the EVGA cd that the card came with to install/uninstall the first time. It said that the old drivers were being uninstalled. When the problem occurred, I deleted all of my display drivers and associated Nvidia programs down to nothing, and reinstalled the latest drivers. Same thing.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2013 6:16:13 PM

Hmm. Well, let us know how it goes with your friend's computer - hopefully it isn't the card's fault.
m
l
January 27, 2013 8:30:37 PM

Update: Some system specs -
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ ATX Motherboard
EVGA GTX 670 GPU (in question)
AMD FX-8120 Black CPU
500W Antec PSU
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM

m
l
January 27, 2013 9:28:14 PM

So he tried in his machine, and the screen is just black the whole time. It sounds like windows is loading and so on, but nothing happens on screen. He put it back in my rig and it was able to load desktop and about 30 seconds to 2 min of game time in Black Ops 2 before crashing. Stress tests crash it as well. While running Black Ops 2 he pulled up EVGA Precision X and it was recording 77 Celsius before crashing. When it crashes it just sounds like an airplane taking off, freezes, then off.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2013 9:43:14 PM

Hmm. And that's on his machine with the proper drivers?
m
l
January 27, 2013 9:54:33 PM

Yeah. It's totally weird. I wasn't present to confirm that he did everything correctly, but it's likely that he did. I mean, I know it's very strange, but really what are the most likely causes for a total system shutdown upon loading games with this new card? My first thinking was the PSU, as mentioned, but research is suggesting that people are running this card just fine on 500w. I know my CPU isn't the best for gaming, but it certainly isn't bad enough for causing this. Same with the motherboard. Bunk card? The 550ti still works fine, everything else being the same.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2013 9:56:16 PM

And you've already checked heat, right? I shouldn't think it would be worse than a 550ti, but it's worth looking at. (The fan is working correctly?) Whoops, yes you did, and although that shouldn't be unsafe temperatures, the failure certainly sounds like either the card is overheating, the drivers think the card is overheating, or the card is broken.

Have you tried older drivers? I don't know how much it would help, but it wouldn't hurt...
m
l
January 27, 2013 10:11:50 PM

I'll try that when I get home, I suppose. Why would it just overheat all suddenly like that? I'm going to try to RMA it I think. Another concern is just lack of space in general. If the card had too much clutter around it could that cause this?? When I had it going last night it was shutting down 5 seconds into the game, every single time. I have a huge custom case, but the wires coming out of my PSU are much close to this card than my 550ti (the 550ti is much smaller than this new card). When my friend put it back together in my case he said he had Black Ops 2 running for over 2 minutes in game, which is a HUGE step up from what I had going. Maybe he had it less cluttered? Idk. I've tried to keep from being cluttered but now I'm wondering if that could be causing it, given the differences in play time last night to today after taking it apart.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2013 10:18:30 PM

It could overheat if it had no air intake, but not sporadically like that - not as far as I could imagine.

I'd probably go ahead and RMA it as well, unfortunately. :/ 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2013 11:03:32 PM

Im running an Oced Gigabyte Windforce 3x GTX 670 on a OCZ 600W PSU
m
l
January 27, 2013 11:08:47 PM

meowmix44 said:
Im running an Oced Gigabyte Windforce 3x GTX 670 on a OCZ 600W PSU

What amplitude are you pushing on your +12v rail? ALSO - does anyone know what the -12v rail does? Is it relevent to the GPU or not?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2013 11:31:30 PM

12.30V
I never had any issues at all, even when I used this PSU with a GTX 570. My PSU never gets hot or loud. It just goes with the flow without any failures during benchmarks or blackscreens.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2013 11:32:50 PM

My 2600K is at 4.2GHz and Im getting voltages from SpeedFan
m
l
January 28, 2013 7:29:30 PM

I'm pretty sure it was my PSU. I returned the card for a full refund, and am now going to upgrade my PSU to something that can handle 30+amps on a single 12v rail.
m
l
!