2nd Request

Is it true that you can't use WPA security in Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2004? Thanks.
11 answers Last reply
More about request

    WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are having
    and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Hi, Barb:

    Here's the body of my original message posted here on 4/7/04. The case # MS
    Tech support person (who told me WPA is not available under XP MCE) gave me
    on the call is SRX040406608193.

    "That's what an MS tech support person told me yesterday. Seems kind of
    daft
    to me. Why would that be???

    Have a Dell Dimension 8250 running XP Pro SP1 with MN-700 base station and
    802.11g. I was using WPA wireless security with no problem. Dell Inspiron
    5100 notebook with MN-720 notebook adapter also using XP Pro SP1 could
    connect fine. Recently added Sony Media Center PC running XP SP1 MCE,
    installed MN-710 USB adapter, and couldn't connect to the network. When I
    would browse available networks and select my network it would say "This
    network is using WPA which is not available on this version". I'm assuming
    it means "this version OF WINDOWS". If I downgrade to WEP I can connect the
    Sony MCE PC.

    Is it true that XP SP1 MCE is incompatible with WPA security?

    Searched KB, the boards, the Net, haven't found a solution. I'd like to
    know so I can stop searching if there is no solution available.

    FWIW, I don't see the XP rollup Hot Fix in the patches listed in the Sony
    PC's installed fixes. Don't know if that would help at all.

    Obviously I could downgrade the OS from MCE to regular XP but I'm asking if
    that is necessary. I'd rather keep MCE on this computer. And get back to
    WPA security.

    Thank you."

    "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are
    having
    > and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.
    >
    > r7di697nospam@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > Is it true that you can't use WPA security in Windows XP Media Center
    > > Edition 2004? Thanks.
    >

    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)

    P.S. I did try installing the Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi Protected
    Access (Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe) to the Sony XP install but it still did
    not enable the connection. I still get the same error about "WPA is not
    available on this version".

    I've also tried connecting the MN-710 adapter on the Sony to several
    different available USB ports with the same failed result.

    Thank you.

    "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are
    having
    > and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.
    >
    > r7di697nospam@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > Is it true that you can't use WPA security in Windows XP Media Center
    > > Edition 2004? Thanks.
    >

    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)

    WPA also works here on my MCE computer.
    Are you using Windows Wireless Zero Config to set it up?

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    <r7di697nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > P.S. I did try installing the Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi Protected
    > Access (Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe) to the Sony XP install but it still
    did
    > not enable the connection. I still get the same error about "WPA is not
    > available on this version".
    >
    > I've also tried connecting the MN-710 adapter on the Sony to several
    > different available USB ports with the same failed result.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >

    > "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are
    > having
    > > and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.
    > >
    > > r7di697nospam@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > > Is it true that you can't use WPA security in Windows XP Media Center
    > > > Edition 2004? Thanks.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Barb Bowman
    > > Expert Zone Columnist
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > MS-MVP (Windows)

    See if the guidance in this Knowledge Base article will correct the
    situation:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831746&Product=MSbbn
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    <r7di697nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > P.S. I did try installing the Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi Protected
    > Access (Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe) to the Sony XP install but it still
    > did
    > not enable the connection. I still get the same error about "WPA is not
    > available on this version".
    >
    > I've also tried connecting the MN-710 adapter on the Sony to several
    > different available USB ports with the same failed result.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >

    > "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are
    > having
    >> and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.
    >>
    >> r7di697nospam@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> > Is it true that you can't use WPA security in Windows XP Media Center
    >> > Edition 2004? Thanks.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> Expert Zone Columnist
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >> MS-MVP (Windows)

    No, everything is configured manually. Been a MSBN user over a year now.
    Thanks.

    "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    > WPA also works here on my MCE computer.
    > Are you using Windows Wireless Zero Config to set it up?
    >
    > --
    > Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
    >
    > Find out about the MS MVP Program -
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
    >
    > <r7di697nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > P.S. I did try installing the Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi
    Protected
    > > Access (Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe) to the Sony XP install but it still
    > did
    > > not enable the connection. I still get the same error about "WPA is not
    > > available on this version".
    > >
    > > I've also tried connecting the MN-710 adapter on the Sony to several
    > > different available USB ports with the same failed result.
    > >
    > > Thank you.
    > >

    > > "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are
    > > having
    > > > and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.

    Center

    > > > --
    > > > Barb Bowman
    > > > Expert Zone Columnist
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > > MS-MVP (Windows)

    My SSID is only 3 characters. Thanks.

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > See if the guidance in this Knowledge Base article will correct the
    > situation:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831746&Product=MSbbn
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > <r7di697nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > P.S. I did try installing the Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi
    Protected
    > > Access (Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe) to the Sony XP install but it still
    > > did
    > > not enable the connection. I still get the same error about "WPA is not
    > > available on this version".
    > >
    > > I've also tried connecting the MN-710 adapter on the Sony to several
    > > different available USB ports with the same failed result.
    > >
    > > Thank you.
    > >

    > > "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are
    > > having
    > >> and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.

    > >> --
    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> Expert Zone Columnist
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> MS-MVP (Windows)

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Jason:

    BTW, if I do look at the WWZC screen in the MN-710 Adapter configuration
    on the Sony MCE PC, it does not list WPA as one of the "Security Strength"
    options in the drop-down list, even though the Q815485 patch IS now
    installed. Only the 2 iterations of WEP are listed. This must be at the
    root of the problem.

    If I set up WPA on the Base Station, the MBNU screen on the Sony PC will
    recognize the MN-700 Base Station on the Dell, and it will acknowledge the
    WPA security running on same, but it will be unable to connect.

    Bottom line, for some reason, the WPA patch is not taking on the Sony.

    Thanks.

    "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    > WPA also works here on my MCE computer.
    > Are you using Windows Wireless Zero Config to set it up?
    >
    > --
    > Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
    >
    > Find out about the MS MVP Program -
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
    >
    > <r7di697nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > P.S. I did try installing the Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi
    Protected
    > > Access (Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe) to the Sony XP install but it still
    > did
    > > not enable the connection. I still get the same error about "WPA is not
    > > available on this version".
    > >
    > > I've also tried connecting the MN-710 adapter on the Sony to several
    > > different available USB ports with the same failed result.
    > >
    > > Thank you.
    > >

    > > "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are
    > > having
    > > > and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.

    Center

    > > > --
    > > > Barb Bowman
    > > > Expert Zone Columnist
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > > MS-MVP (Windows)

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    The specific error messages I get when I try to connect to my network
    running under WPA is:

    "The selected network requires WPA security, which is not supported by the
    Microsoft Broadband Network Utility"

    and

    "The selected network requires WPA security, which is not supported with
    this version"

    This is AFTER the Q815485 patch has been installed on the Sony running XP
    MCE SP1.

    Weird, huh?

    > Jason:
    >
    > BTW, if I do look at the WWZC screen in the MN-710 Adapter
    configuration
    > on the Sony MCE PC, it does not list WPA as one of the "Security Strength"
    > options in the drop-down list, even though the Q815485 patch IS now
    > installed. Only the 2 iterations of WEP are listed. This must be at the
    > root of the problem.
    >
    > If I set up WPA on the Base Station, the MBNU screen on the Sony PC
    will
    > recognize the MN-700 Base Station on the Dell, and it will acknowledge the
    > WPA security running on same, but it will be unable to connect.
    >
    > Bottom line, for some reason, the WPA patch is not taking on the Sony.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
    > > WPA also works here on my MCE computer.
    > > Are you using Windows Wireless Zero Config to set it up?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
    > >
    > > Find out about the MS MVP Program -
    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
    > >
    > > <r7di697nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > P.S. I did try installing the Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi
    > Protected
    > > > Access (Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe) to the Sony XP install but it
    still
    > > did
    > > > not enable the connection. I still get the same error about "WPA is
    not
    > > > available on this version".
    > > >
    > > > I've also tried connecting the MN-710 adapter on the Sony to several
    > > > different available USB ports with the same failed result.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you.
    > > >

    > > > "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > having

    > Center

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    this sounds to me like you are trying to use the Broadband Networking
    Utility and not the built in WZC. Do this:

    Start, run
    ncpa.cpl [ok]
    right click the wireless connection and then click properties

    navigate to the wireless tab, and you should be able to specify WPA-PSK from
    the windows and menus there.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Hey, Barb:

    Thanks for the input. After struggling with this for a full week, I
    decided to ditch the whole MSBN deal. I'm now using a USB hub to share the
    printer, and if I need Net access on the Sony I can actually run a USB cable
    from the cable modem on the Dell (it supports both a patch cable and USB
    cable simultaneously). It simply wasn't worth the expenditure of my time
    any more. Before I did this, I was trying to get back to basic WEP security
    (which was previously working) from another failed WPA attempt, and the
    MN-720 adapter could see the base station on the Dell but kept telling me
    the security string was "invalid". Even though I was absolutely positive it
    was correct. Just to test it I changed the string in the Utility on the Base
    Station PC to all A's (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA) to avoid typing errors,
    then went back and tried to connect with that string on the Sony, and it
    still refused to recognize it as the correct password when I tried to run
    Setup on the MN-720 adapter. At this point, I said, this is not Broadband
    Networking, this is a black hole you throw your time and patience into.
    Off, off, off, all the hardware came off, all the software was uninstalled,
    and peace reigns once again. I don't have patience for this stuff anymore!
    My philosophy is that PCs are here to serve me, not the reverse. And when
    it's telling me what I know is correct is invalid, it's time to hang up the
    old router and just string some cables. Done. No more headaches, no more
    tempermental installations.

    Thanks, again, anyway.

    > this sounds to me like you are trying to use the Broadband Networking
    > Utility and not the built in WZC. Do this:
    >
    > Start, run
    > ncpa.cpl [ok]
    > right click the wireless connection and then click properties
    >
    > navigate to the wireless tab, and you should be able to specify WPA-PSK
    from
    > the windows and menus there.
    >
    > r7di697nospam@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > The specific error messages I get when I try to connect to my network
    > > running under WPA is:
    > >
    > > "The selected network requires WPA security, which is not supported
    > > by the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility"
    > >
    > > and
    > >
    > > "The selected network requires WPA security, which is not supported
    > > with this version"
    > >
    > > This is AFTER the Q815485 patch has been installed on the Sony
    > > running XP MCE SP1.
    > >
    > > Weird, huh?
    > >

    > > <r7di697nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Jason:
    > >>
    > >> BTW, if I do look at the WWZC screen in the MN-710 Adapter
    > >> configuration on the Sony MCE PC, it does not list WPA as one of the
    > >> "Security Strength" options in the drop-down list, even though the
    > >> Q815485 patch IS now installed. Only the 2 iterations of WEP are
    > >> listed. This must be at the root of the problem.
    > >>
    > >> If I set up WPA on the Base Station, the MBNU screen on the Sony
    > >> PC will recognize the MN-700 Base Station on the Dell, and it will
    > >> acknowledge the WPA security running on same, but it will be unable
    > >> to connect.
    > >>
    > >> Bottom line, for some reason, the WPA patch is not taking on the
    > >> Sony.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >>

    > >> "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message

    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)

Routers Hardware Microsoft Windows XP Networking