2nd Request

Last response: in Networking
April 12, 2004 7:01:55 PM

Is it true that you can't use WPA security in Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2004? Thanks.

More about : 2nd request

Anonymous
April 12, 2004 7:01:56 PM

WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are having
and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Hi, Barb:

Here's the body of my original message posted here on 4/7/04. The case # MS
Tech support person (who told me WPA is not available under XP MCE) gave me
on the call is SRX040406608193.

"That's what an MS tech support person told me yesterday. Seems kind of
daft
to me. Why would that be???

Have a Dell Dimension 8250 running XP Pro SP1 with MN-700 base station and
802.11g. I was using WPA wireless security with no problem. Dell Inspiron
5100 notebook with MN-720 notebook adapter also using XP Pro SP1 could
connect fine. Recently added Sony Media Center PC running XP SP1 MCE,
installed MN-710 USB adapter, and couldn't connect to the network. When I
would browse available networks and select my network it would say "This
network is using WPA which is not available on this version". I'm assuming
it means "this version OF WINDOWS". If I downgrade to WEP I can connect the
Sony MCE PC.

Is it true that XP SP1 MCE is incompatible with WPA security?

Searched KB, the boards, the Net, haven't found a solution. I'd like to
know so I can stop searching if there is no solution available.

FWIW, I don't see the XP rollup Hot Fix in the patches listed in the Sony
PC's installed fixes. Don't know if that would help at all.

Obviously I could downgrade the OS from MCE to regular XP but I'm asking if
that is necessary. I'd rather keep MCE on this computer. And get back to
WPA security.

Thank you."

"Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are
having
> and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.
>
> r7di697nospam@hotmail.com wrote:
> > Is it true that you can't use WPA security in Windows XP Media Center
> > Edition 2004? Thanks.
>

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

April 12, 2004 8:03:02 PM

P.S. I did try installing the Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi Protected
Access (Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe) to the Sony XP install but it still did
not enable the connection. I still get the same error about "WPA is not
available on this version".

I've also tried connecting the MN-710 adapter on the Sony to several
different available USB ports with the same failed result.

Thank you.

"Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are
having
> and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.
>
> r7di697nospam@hotmail.com wrote:
> > Is it true that you can't use WPA security in Windows XP Media Center
> > Edition 2004? Thanks.
>

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
April 12, 2004 8:03:03 PM

WPA also works here on my MCE computer.
Are you using Windows Wireless Zero Config to set it up?

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

<r7di697nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> P.S. I did try installing the Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi Protected
> Access (Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe) to the Sony XP install but it still
did
> not enable the connection. I still get the same error about "WPA is not
> available on this version".
>
> I've also tried connecting the MN-710 adapter on the Sony to several
> different available USB ports with the same failed result.
>
> Thank you.
>

> "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are
> having
> > and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.
> >
> > r7di697nospam@hotmail.com wrote:
> > > Is it true that you can't use WPA security in Windows XP Media Center
> > > Edition 2004? Thanks.
> >

> > --
> > Barb Bowman
> > Expert Zone Columnist
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
April 12, 2004 8:03:03 PM

See if the guidance in this Knowledge Base article will correct the
situation:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831746&Product=MSbbn
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

<r7di697nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> P.S. I did try installing the Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi Protected
> Access (Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe) to the Sony XP install but it still
> did
> not enable the connection. I still get the same error about "WPA is not
> available on this version".
>
> I've also tried connecting the MN-710 adapter on the Sony to several
> different available USB ports with the same failed result.
>
> Thank you.
>

> "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are
> having
>> and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.
>>
>> r7di697nospam@hotmail.com wrote:
>> > Is it true that you can't use WPA security in Windows XP Media Center
>> > Edition 2004? Thanks.
>>

>> --
>> Barb Bowman
>> Expert Zone Columnist
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
April 12, 2004 9:28:55 PM

No, everything is configured manually. Been a MSBN user over a year now.
Thanks.

"Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> WPA also works here on my MCE computer.
> Are you using Windows Wireless Zero Config to set it up?
>
> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> <r7di697nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > P.S. I did try installing the Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi
Protected
> > Access (Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe) to the Sony XP install but it still
> did
> > not enable the connection. I still get the same error about "WPA is not
> > available on this version".
> >
> > I've also tried connecting the MN-710 adapter on the Sony to several
> > different available USB ports with the same failed result.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> > "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are
> > having
> > > and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.

Center

> > > --
> > > Barb Bowman
> > > Expert Zone Columnist
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > > MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
April 12, 2004 9:29:31 PM

My SSID is only 3 characters. Thanks.

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o zDGJnKIEHA.3840@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> See if the guidance in this Knowledge Base article will correct the
> situation:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831746&Product=MSbbn
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Associate Expert
>
> <r7di697nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > P.S. I did try installing the Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi
Protected
> > Access (Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe) to the Sony XP install but it still
> > did
> > not enable the connection. I still get the same error about "WPA is not
> > available on this version".
> >
> > I've also tried connecting the MN-710 adapter on the Sony to several
> > different available USB ports with the same failed result.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> > "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are
> > having
> >> and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.

> >> --
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> Expert Zone Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 6:16:09 PM

Jason:

BTW, if I do look at the WWZC screen in the MN-710 Adapter configuration
on the Sony MCE PC, it does not list WPA as one of the "Security Strength"
options in the drop-down list, even though the Q815485 patch IS now
installed. Only the 2 iterations of WEP are listed. This must be at the
root of the problem.

If I set up WPA on the Base Station, the MBNU screen on the Sony PC will
recognize the MN-700 Base Station on the Dell, and it will acknowledge the
WPA security running on same, but it will be unable to connect.

Bottom line, for some reason, the WPA patch is not taking on the Sony.

Thanks.

"Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> WPA also works here on my MCE computer.
> Are you using Windows Wireless Zero Config to set it up?
>
> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> <r7di697nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > P.S. I did try installing the Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi
Protected
> > Access (Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe) to the Sony XP install but it still
> did
> > not enable the connection. I still get the same error about "WPA is not
> > available on this version".
> >
> > I've also tried connecting the MN-710 adapter on the Sony to several
> > different available USB ports with the same failed result.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> > "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > WPA-PSK works fine for me in MCE 2004. Please post the issue you are
> > having
> > > and which MS wireless equipment you are having trouble with.

Center

> > > --
> > > Barb Bowman
> > > Expert Zone Columnist
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > > MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 6:21:40 PM

The specific error messages I get when I try to connect to my network
running under WPA is:

"The selected network requires WPA security, which is not supported by the
Microsoft Broadband Network Utility"

and

"The selected network requires WPA security, which is not supported with
this version"

This is AFTER the Q815485 patch has been installed on the Sony running XP
MCE SP1.

Weird, huh?

> Jason:
>
> BTW, if I do look at the WWZC screen in the MN-710 Adapter
configuration
> on the Sony MCE PC, it does not list WPA as one of the "Security Strength"
> options in the drop-down list, even though the Q815485 patch IS now
> installed. Only the 2 iterations of WEP are listed. This must be at the
> root of the problem.
>
> If I set up WPA on the Base Station, the MBNU screen on the Sony PC
will
> recognize the MN-700 Base Station on the Dell, and it will acknowledge the
> WPA security running on same, but it will be unable to connect.
>
> Bottom line, for some reason, the WPA patch is not taking on the Sony.
>
> Thanks.
>

> "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> > WPA also works here on my MCE computer.
> > Are you using Windows Wireless Zero Config to set it up?
> >
> > --
> > Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
> >
> > Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
> >
> > <r7di697nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > P.S. I did try installing the Windows XP Support Patch for Wi-Fi
> Protected
> > > Access (Q815485_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe) to the Sony XP install but it
still
> > did
> > > not enable the connection. I still get the same error about "WPA is
not
> > > available on this version".
> > >
> > > I've also tried connecting the MN-710 adapter on the Sony to several
> > > different available USB ports with the same failed result.
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > >

> > > "Barb Bowman (MVP-Windows)" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > having

> Center

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 6:21:41 PM

this sounds to me like you are trying to use the Broadband Networking
Utility and not the built in WZC. Do this:

Start, run
ncpa.cpl [ok]
right click the wireless connection and then click properties

navigate to the wireless tab, and you should be able to specify WPA-PSK from
the windows and menus there.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Hey, Barb:

Thanks for the input. After struggling with this for a full week, I
decided to ditch the whole MSBN deal. I'm now using a USB hub to share the
printer, and if I need Net access on the Sony I can actually run a USB cable
from the cable modem on the Dell (it supports both a patch cable and USB
cable simultaneously). It simply wasn't worth the expenditure of my time
any more. Before I did this, I was trying to get back to basic WEP security
(which was previously working) from another failed WPA attempt, and the
MN-720 adapter could see the base station on the Dell but kept telling me
the security string was "invalid". Even though I was absolutely positive it
was correct. Just to test it I changed the string in the Utility on the Base
Station PC to all A's (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA) to avoid typing errors,
then went back and tried to connect with that string on the Sony, and it
still refused to recognize it as the correct password when I tried to run
Setup on the MN-720 adapter. At this point, I said, this is not Broadband
Networking, this is a black hole you throw your time and patience into.
Off, off, off, all the hardware came off, all the software was uninstalled,
and peace reigns once again. I don't have patience for this stuff anymore!
My philosophy is that PCs are here to serve me, not the reverse. And when
it's telling me what I know is correct is invalid, it's time to hang up the
old router and just string some cables. Done. No more headaches, no more
tempermental installations.

Thanks, again, anyway.

!