Windows 8 icons don't work

rob90_2006

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I am having quite a few problems with the pc i have made.

1. Windows 8 icons won't launch
2. The mouse keeps disconnecting and reconnecting intermittently (making the disconnect sound)
3. The sound cuts off during game play and won't come back on until a restart

Help would be appreciated

rob90_2006

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

windows 8 pro

Seagate 1TB Barracuda Internal Hard Drive

Asus GT 640 2GB DDR3 VGA DVI-D HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card

rob90_2006

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Just pro no upgrade

and which test? this one? - ExcelStor's ESTest 4.50????

if you have a USB mouse, resets to your USB host controller will make the connect and disconnect. If that is the case I would look for a upgraded driver for my USB port. (this assumes you don't have a bad USB device plugged in or a short in a connector or to the case, the system might attempt resets to clear the problem but there should be a error log in eventvwr.exe if Windows is doing the resets)

icons not launching could be you drive subsystem. Again, look in eventvwr.exe logs to see if the system is doing a reset of the bus to the Disk subsystem.

if a disk subsystem takes more that 30 seconds, the OS will do a reset to attempt to clear the problem (and will make a entry in the eventlogs)

Sometimes, drives can have cache issues due to bugs in the electronics or firmware. The Windows 8 is less likely to ignore these and do a reset and attempt to flush data to disk. Sometimes the disk does not return the correct indication of the write and windows attempt to write the data and reset again. (over and over)

if this is the case you can update firmware for the drive (if you can) or disable lazy writes on the drive.

-lots of times a disk test will not find issues because the issue is in the circuit for link lower power management. (windows 8 has it turned on by default, off in window 7 by default)