Sign in with
Your question

What am I doing wrong with my TV in/out video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 6, 2002 8:18:48 PM

What am I doing wrong with my TV in/out video card ports/cables?

Summary: I am unable to get any signal from my VCR or Cable box to my PC and I am unable to send any signal from my PC to my TV or VCR. I used direct connections and connections with a 2-way S-Video/RCA signal converter. Please see details below.

System configuration:

TV
SONY flat screen 20 inch TV (the model may be 6 months old, bought it 3 months ago). It has Coaxial (antenna) port, and 2 sets of RCA Video/Audio OUT ports. It has no S-Video ports.

VCR
Some older VHS Sanyo with Coaxial IN and OUT ports for cable signal and 2 sets of RCA Audio/Video IN/OUT ports.

TV Box
Standard Cablevision TV box. (see it at http://www.cablevision.com)

PC
Asus P4T-E motherboard;
P4 at 1800 MHz (not overclocked);
512 MB PC-800 RDRAM;
Asus 8200T5 Ti-500 Ge-Froce3 Deluxe video card;
40 GB IBM ATA-100 7200 RPM HDD;
21” SONY Trinitron monitor

8200T5 Ti-500 Video card came with the following ports and cables:

Ports (port functions are as per user manual diagram):
7-pin S-Video IN port (for signal from TV/Video/DVD/Camcorder/Cable box);
4-pin S-Video OUT port (out to TV/VCR. . .);
Composite (RCA) video OUT port (out to TV/VCR. . .);
VGA out to monitor;
VR glasses out.

Cables:
7-pin S-Video male on one end/Composite (RCA) female on the other end;
Extension male composite (RCA) on both ends (one end can be plugged into the female RCA on the 7-pin S-Video cable and the other end can go into RCA video in on TV or VCR);
4-pin S-Video male on both ends cable.

Software:
Video recording/capturing software has the following options for the video source: S-Video, TV Tuner, Composite. The card comes without a build in TV tuner but it seems that it should be able to receive and send out S-Video and Composite signal without any third party add-ons.

Problem: I cannot send any video from PC to TV and I cannot get any video from cable or VCR to display on the PC monitor.

What I tried:

1. Tried to capture video from cable box and from VCR.

Connections: plugged a coaxial male-to-RCA female adapter into the coaxial cable box signal out port, and connected the male/male RCA extension to it. Connected the female RCA end of the 7-pin S-Video to the extension. Plugged the 7-pin S-video cable in the 7-pin S-Video IN port on the video card. Started Video capture or digital VCR software that came with the Video card.

Result – no image, no capture, no nothing from Cable box to PC.

Tried the same with VCR (tried to get the VCR signal from both the coaxial signal out and through the RCA video out on the VCR) – same result. No video signal seems to be coming into my PC.

2. Tried to send video from PC to TV/VCR.

Connections: Connected the Composite (RCA) video OUT port on the video card directly to the RCA video IN port on the TV using a standard RCA cable. No effect – no signal at all. Connected one end of the 4-pin S-Video cable to the video card, the other to the S-Video-to-RCA signal converter and connected the converter to the RCA video IN port on the TV. No picture. Nothing.

The user manual Troubleshooting section does not address these issues at all. ASUS web site is also completely useless – it sends you to the retailer who sold you the card for Tech support.

Please, help, if you know how. The damn card is almost $400.00. Is it likely to be defective or am I doing something wrong?

More about : wrong video card

March 10, 2002 1:23:20 PM

S-Video:

short for super-video, a technology for transmitting video signals over a cable by dividing the video information into 2 separate signals: one for color (chrominance), and the other for brightness (luminance).
when sent to a tv, this produces sharper images than composite video, where the video information is transmitted as a single signal over one wire. this is because televisions are designed to display separate Luminance (Y) and Chrominance (C) signals. (the terms Y/C video and S-Video are the same.)

computers monitors, on the other hand, are designed for RGB signals. most digital video devices, such as digital cameras and game machines, produce video in RGB format.
the images look best, therefore, when output on a computer.
when output on a tv, however, they look better in s-video format than in composite format.
<b>to use s-video, the device sending the signals must support s-video output and the device receiving the signals must have an s-video input jack. then you need a special s-video cable to connect the 2 devices</b>

i think you cant mixed video signals (SVHS/RCA)with a "simple" cable.

i hav already had this same issue when i tried to attach my "old" VCR to my "new" AIW radeon.
i tried to plug a mixed cable from my VCR to my gc svhs input & my gc composite input & it didnt work at all

& how i resolved the problem ?

by chance my AIW has a tv-tuner & also a coax input as well.
so i hav plugged my antenna signal coax to the VCR coax input, the VCR coax output to my AIW coax input.
& now my "old" VCR works fine with my "new" AIW.
(obviously the quality is less than with a s-video cable)

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy...
!