Internet fluctuating ISP says nothings wrong

Akio

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
iv talked to them and tried all the troubleshooting but my connection hasnt improved, it randomly started acting up today its been fine for the last year. i speed tested my connection and I'll get 10 ms ping 25 Mbps download but upload wont budge, then a few seconds later ill refresh it 18ping 3mbps download and 0.04 upload, the rep from my isp i talked to said nothing wrong with my side or their side, should i return my modem? or could it be a problem with my router? i have tried connecting directly to my modem and the speed doesn't change -- added info for my modem --
RF Parameters
Downstream
Freq/Power: 699.000 MHz -7 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 39 dB
Modulation: QAM256
Upstream
Freq/Power: 33.000 MHz 47 dBmV
Channel Type: Mixed (TDMA and ATDMA)
Symbol Rate: 2560 kSym/sec
Modulation: QAM64

Status
System Uptime: 0 days 1h:4m:2s
Computers Detected: 1
CM Status: Telephony-AC Power Iso OFF Reg Complete
Time and Date: SAT MAR 03 10:42:26 2012

my most recent speed test

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1811048378.png

Solution

This is starting to sound way too familiar. Do you have a government oversighting body where...

MikeKF

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Why is your line quality scoring an F from pingtest.net?

Is it the only service you have on it or do you have cable television from the same provider? If so, what is it's quality like?

Don't always believe the ISP. I've experienced similar issues with a provider who claimed that there was nothing wrong at their end after my connection began to randomly and frequently drop. Every time I called over the following days they requested I do numerous useless things like continuously rebooting, reformatting, etc. Each time I had to start at the beginning of their troubleshooting process (which after about half a dozen times was getting frustrating - though I understand why they have to do it). I explained all the various troubleshooting things I had done and the tests I had run (having worked in IT for several years). In the end the help desk person said I should have a business account instead since I was doing work from that account and began to abuse me when I wanted to make a complaint. There ended the conversation. Funny thing was, an hour later my line worked perfectly from there on in, and I had done nothing.

In this case though, I think it is more likely something between your equipment and theirs.

Akio

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

no clue those tests were pretty much right after eachother my internet was ok for a few days after that but its acting up again, the isp said to wait a few days and it did get better after that but now its starting to go back to its laggy self , im going to buy a new router cuz i need one anyways if that dont work i'ma have the crew set me up a new modem and mabey take a look at my lines

quick info: i do have phone and cable from them aswell they're both fine but the phone did act up the first time my internet messed up , this week i'v noticed my cable cutting out for 10 second or so times so im guessing its a wiring problem mabey, when they cut out i check all my lines and box to mak sure no ones tapping in and i monitor how many people are on my networking and theres no one new or anything

Akio

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

tell me about it lol the service was never bad untill now and it happened when we had alot of weather problems but the weathers been cleared up now for a while and nothings fixed itself >_<

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

Did you mention this when you were troubleshooting with the ISP? That seems to be a significant key to the puzzle, if these problems started right after a storm then a line somewhere is probably shorting out and they'll need to fix it.

Give them another call, sometimes you have to call a few times to get a good tech on the phone that's experienced enough to know when an issue isn't just a user related problem. Be persistent, but not pushy, and make sure they understand these problems started after a storm.

Akio

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

yea lol it was very annoying i'v called mabey 2-3 times and on the third time the dude had the audacity to tell me i was wrong and theres no need for a crew to come out when i was having problems at that very moment trying to tell me everything was fine and just to restart my modem again, >_< when i wanted to talk to a supervisor i was on hold for 25mins till i got some half assed rep on the phone telling me that weather nor equipment was the answer and i would have to go to my isp in town to sched a crew to come out and they said they're pretty booked for a couple weeks dancing around the topic and again telling me to restart my modem

MikeKF

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

This is starting to sound way too familiar. Do you have a government oversighting body where you are? In Australia there is a telecommunications industry ombudsman (TIO) who seems to have ISP's quaking in their boots, because any problem I've had where I know 100% I am not at fault I have to end up mentioning the TIO, well, the problems seem to get fixed very fast then.

There is no coincidence that associated systems are having complimentary issues. The simplest explanation is more often than not correct. I think I hit the nail on the head in my first reply. Cable companies don't like complaints, nor do they like losing your business (if you pay), so wield that mighty consumer hammer and have something done. Just be sure that the problem isn't caused by you as that would be embarrassing (so far I have not experienced that... with IT at least).

Solution

Akio

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
nah man im from USA WI to be specific , haha i love that my mighty consumer hammer, thing on my line are clearing up again but im still going to swap out my router and call the crew to take a look at my lines, thanks for all your help and advice !

MikeKF

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

My pleasure. I will keep an eye on this thread and would love to know how you end up going with this. Thanks for the best answer vote :D