Sign in with
Your question

HD 7770 not recognised and black screen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 27, 2013 7:52:48 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased a new graphics card MSI hd 7770 to use in my brand new custom built desktop pc. As for now i am running on a 21.5" VGA monitor and i do not have a dvi-vga adaptor to use on my card so i plugged it in into the motherboard vga slot. I turn the machine on and all i can see is a black screen. Later i unplugged the gpu power and let the system run using the integrated graphics. I installed windows and checked to see if the card was atleast recognised in some way as it was still in the pci-e slot. There was no display adapter shown apart from the integrated graphics. I am also 100% sure that the bios is set to load the dedicated graphics before the integrated so that cannot be the problem. I also updated the bios but to no success. Someone please help :sweat: 
January 27, 2013 8:01:15 PM

Silly question but did you plug the gpu's power back In?
January 27, 2013 8:01:32 PM

so you bought a 7770, and connected your monitor to the onboard graphics? is this correct?
Related resources
January 27, 2013 8:08:23 PM

zycuda said:
Silly question but did you plug the gpu's power back In?

Yes i plugged the power in but i had to change the bios option to start with integrated graphics because there was no display.
January 27, 2013 8:09:13 PM

daswilhelm said:
so you bought a 7770, and connected your monitor to the onboard graphics? is this correct?

Yes the monitor is now connected to the vga socket at the back of the computer not the graphics card.
January 27, 2013 8:13:01 PM

Does the cards fan spin?
January 27, 2013 8:13:10 PM

That won't work. The monitor needs to be plugged into the graphics card so the graphics card can show video. Every 7750 and 7770 I have seen comes with a DVI to VGA adapter, and if not, you can buy them at a zillion places for a few bucks.

And did you plug power back in after unplugged it?
January 27, 2013 8:16:53 PM

lyud2110 said:
Yes the monitor is now connected to the vga socket at the back of the computer not the graphics card.

is this starting to make sense yet?
January 27, 2013 8:18:23 PM

zycuda said:
Does the cards fan spin?

The fans were spinning when i plugged the power into the card
January 27, 2013 8:19:40 PM

daswilhelm said:
is this starting to make sense yet?

So the problem is that the connector has to be connected to the graphics card and not the mobo? Also when it was connected how comes it didn't show as a video adaptor?
January 27, 2013 8:21:55 PM

because you said it wasnt connected to power at the time.
January 27, 2013 8:25:28 PM

daswilhelm said:
because you said it wasnt connected to power at the time.

Yes, but i did try with the power connected and there was a picture on the monitor but that was because of
the integrated graphics, i then opened the device manager and there still wasnt any video adaptor apart from integrated graphics
January 27, 2013 8:27:19 PM

stop using the onboard graphics. doesn't sound like the card is bad, sounds like you are messing around to much. get an adapter and use the right connections, and everything should be fine. if you cant handle it, get a professional to look at it.
January 27, 2013 8:31:09 PM

daswilhelm said:
stop using the onboard graphics. doesn't sound like the card is bad, sounds like you are messing around to much. get an adapter and use the right connections, and everything should be fine. if you cant handle it, get a professional to look at it.

yh i guess thanks, so when i get the adapter and connect everything how it should be, would i need to uninstall/disable the onboard graphics?
January 27, 2013 8:32:24 PM

you shouldnt have to disable anything, the bios should recongnize the new card and default to it.
January 27, 2013 8:33:15 PM

daswilhelm said:
you shouldnt have to disable anything, the bios should recongnize the new card and default to it.

Ah ok thank you so much :) 
!