512 mb stick vs 256 + New Trend DDR

G

hello ppl,
i just rescently bought a pc2100 512 mb stick (rated CAS2) and my memory bandwidth according sisoft sandra has went down as compaired to my old 256 CL 2.5. this shouldnt happen, should it (does the density matter)?

furthermore this new ram (new trend technologies, nanya chips) claims timings 2-2-2 without a heat spreader or anything. i feel like an idiot for buying it now since performance may have decreased and in fact system lockups have become more frequent. it even performs worse that my old ram set at equally high settings.

well, just sharing my negative experience - feel free to offer similar stories and/or advise.

G

wow that really sucks. i guess i'm not surprised though. i have heard of a lot of people having problems with running memory at pc2700 cl2.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Make sure it's actually set at Cas2 in the BIOS, that'd be the first step.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

G

im pretty sure i set it to cas 2 in the BIOS - i also played around with all the other settings (bank interleave, command time, etc. although im not sure what those are exactly) still it performs consitently worse than the old CL 2.5.
when 4 way bank interleave, cas 2, and 1T command time are set the system cant stay stable for more than a few minutes... :(

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Maybe try taking it back to the place you bought it and tell them about the stability problems (obviously if you had a perfectly stable system with the old ram, any instability with the new 'better' ram shouldn't have to be accepted). At the least they would likely swap the stick so you can try another one. If the problem persists with that brand, maybe you would be able to get a different brand from them ?

G

well its too late to return it and besides the problems are not glaring - in fact quite subjective, so i said screw it dont want to pay the fuggin 15% restock fee if they find no obvious problems with it. i just tuned down the settings and besides im not even using it right now. ill pop it in once ill start tinkering with photoshop more.

what about the win9x (im running 98) problems with >512 mb ram, does anyone know about that? please feel free to share your knowledge.