MSI HD6870 video signal "crashing" using certain media players

bp88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum, but I'm having an issue with certain media players such as the one used on Tumblr webpages and the one used on www.voanews.com .

Once the video begins to play my screen will go black but the monitor light won't go into standby mode, so there must be a signal but no actual display. Hard-restarting is the only way to recover. I've tried several different video drivers (currently Catalyst 13.1), (un)installing several Windows updates, scanning for viruses and malware, checking all cable connections, etc. but nothing seems to fix the problem.

What media players do these websites use that cause my display to go black? Aside from this, I don't have any other issues and I can watch videos on most sites like YouTube fine. I can also play games like Far Cry 3, DOTA 2, and Diablo 3 without any issues.

I have a refurbished MSI HD6870 because my original and first RMA'd MSI R6850 OC had video memory issues. My guess is that it's more than likely a hardware problem since my card is refurbished, but I'd like to see what others recommend before I consider swapping cards again.

I think I'm going to stick with Sapphire products from now on. :kaola:

bp88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
Okay, I think I may be getting closer to understanding the problem. I believe Tumblr and the other media players that cause the problem play their files in .mov and .avi file extensions most of the time. What about those extensions could potentially be causing the problem?

TRENDING THREADS