Botlenecking really exist?

thegameon

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
so I have 2 gtx 670s and im running i5 750 at 4.0ghz u probably can see the specs below but what I wanna ask is that how one game for example bf3 uses 80% cpu utilization and gpu usages are around 70 to 95% jumpy and getting between 80 to 130fps on the other hand metro utilizes gpus at 97% percent constantly and cpu usage is at 40 -50% and im getting 55-95 fps but average is 75fps there r many games like that cpu is not utilized a lot and gpus are going crazy and some games gpus usage is all over the place or low where cpu is goin high. how can I know that my cpu is not bottleneckin my gpus

Solution
G

+1

a lot has to do not only with what game but what you are doing in the game. looking down a hall won't need as much gpu usage than walking down the same hall. the same is with looking at the action of other characters; when there are none or few doing little activity the cpu won't need to process the information as much as if there are several other characters fighting or involved in other activity.

now with that little primer is over and looking at your stated cpu/gpu usage; your cpu is NOT bottlenecking your rig but there are times when it is a limiting factor. (most people cannot seem to wrap their head around...
G

+1

a lot has to do not only with what game but what you are doing in the game. looking down a hall won't need as much gpu usage than walking down the same hall. the same is with looking at the action of other characters; when there are none or few doing little activity the cpu won't need to process the information as much as if there are several other characters fighting or involved in other activity.

now with that little primer is over and looking at your stated cpu/gpu usage; your cpu is NOT bottlenecking your rig but there are times when it is a limiting factor. (most people cannot seem to wrap their head around that). seriously, you're getting decent frame rates and sure getting a i5-3547K overclocked to 4.5Ghz would allow your 670 SLI set up stretch its legs a bit more when there is a lot of AI but, i highly doubt that spending $300+ would be cost effective for what performance increase you may get.

Solution

thegameon

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

i totally understand what u mean by that and i noticed that too myself but how bout crysis 2 on a single card its always at 97% usage or higher but sli runs funny in a stupid way cuz everytime i need them to push hard like when im in middle of the battle or outside to render tons of trees, ocean, cars etc... they drop to 40 percent instantly and stay there then when im inside the buildings cards go up to 99% usage and my fps goes up as well of course. so is that a game issue ?