Can I safely partition a hdd with data on it?

trancend1

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
Hi there, I recently built my first machine and used a 60 Gig Maxtor for the HDD. However, I failed to partition the drive during its initial installation and was wondering if I can safely do it now without damaging any data. I would appreciate any instructions on how do do this ( if I can ) and also any recomendation on data groupings and where to put what (e.g. system files, mp3s, programs and the like).
thanks for your time.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Possibly with partition magic.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Zlash is correct. I use Partition Magic 7. It will add, delete or merge partitions. It will also
format fat32, ntfs by using your OS. It can also change ntfs back to fat32. All safely.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

BTW Partiton Magic 6.0 does exactly the same thing.

Anyone know the differences between the two?

I've not spotted them.

<b><font color=red> :mad: DELETE THE "EVERYTHING'S GONE QUIET" THREAD!!! :mad: </font color=red></b>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I think the only difference is compatibility with WinXP and upto 80gig hd.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I believe I paid $49 for it but it's worth it to me.

How's "Detail Man"? :smile:

Is 80GB the limit on PT 6.0?

Strangely enough, I run a 79GB array, so I can't test to find out.

I would probably move up to a larger array later in the year, so it would be handy to know.

<b><font color=red> :mad: DELETE THE "EVERYTHING'S GONE QUIET" THREAD!!! :mad: </font color=red></b>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I don't know about 6 but 7 says it will do upto 80gig. I haven't tried it
on my 120gig yet. It is unclear as to whether it will work on a maximum
80gig partition in a larger drive or just not work at all. I may try it
after my next backup.

Well I fancied adding another 1 or 2 40GB drives to my current array so I would have 3 or 4 x 40GB RAID 0.

I figure it would be an important issue here.