Nokia 3595 on Virgin Mobil?

Last response: in Brands
Share
August 7, 2005 8:55:18 AM

Hi all,

I have a Nokia 3595 from Cingular (which doesn't offer service in my
area) that I'd like to use with Virgin mobil. I unlocked the phone so
that any SIM card will work in it.

So what do I need to do next to get this phone working?

Thanks
Andy
August 7, 2005 11:25:43 AM

On 7 Aug 2005 04:55:18 -0700, "Andy" <ajj3085@alum.rit.edu> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have a Nokia 3595 from Cingular (which doesn't offer service in my
>area) that I'd like to use with Virgin mobil. I unlocked the phone so
>that any SIM card will work in it.
>
>So what do I need to do next to get this phone working?

That handset absolutely will not work with Virgin Mobile. For one
thing Virgin Mobile in the US uses CDMA handsets. The Nokia 3595 is a
GSM handset. Also Virgin Mobile will not let you use a handset that
they either did not sell or has not been on their network. If the ESN
is not in their database of permissable ESNs you cannot use a phone on
their network.
- -
August 7, 2005 3:59:06 PM

In article <1123415718.330175.52970@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Andy <ajj3085@alum.rit.edu> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have a Nokia 3595 from Cingular (which doesn't offer service in my
>area) that I'd like to use with Virgin mobil. I unlocked the phone so
>that any SIM card will work in it.
>
>So what do I need to do next to get this phone working?

But a CDMA phone.

Your 3595 is a GSM phone, which is incompatible with the CDMA network
(Sprint's) that Virgin Mobile uses in the US.
August 7, 2005 8:06:59 PM

Thanks for all the responses... I thought Virgin was GSM. Its a
shame, I wish I could switch providers and not have to get a new phone
everytime.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 3:25:13 AM

In article <1123456018.871496.117740@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Andy <ajj3085@alum.rit.edu> wrote:
>Thanks for all the responses... I thought Virgin was GSM. Its a
>shame, I wish I could switch providers and not have to get a new phone
>everytime.

Virgin UK is GSM, and operates as a virtual network using T-Mobile's
infrastructure. Virgin US is CDMA ... probably because, at the time they
were formed, there wasn't much GSM network space to piggyback on.
!